Julia Koscelnik: The best things come in threes

Lily Speredelozzi | Assistant Photo Editor

Each year, graduating editors are given 30 final column inches – “30” was historically used to signify the end of a story – to reflect on their time at The Hatchet, published in the final issues of the year.

After an Intro to News Writing and Reporting class finally engaged me following two and a half semesters of online classes in my childhood bedroom, I declared a minor in journalism and mass communication.

[gwh_image id=”1188344″ credit=”Lily Speredelozzi | Assistant Photo Editor” align=”right” size=”embedded-img”][/gwh_image]

So as soon as I arrived back on campus that fall, I applied to join The Hatchet as a culture reporter. As a new SMPA minor, I wanted to hone in on my journalism skills – but more than that, I was looking to rebuild the campus community I had lost after spending a year and a half away from GW. About a week later, I excitedly walked to the townhouse for my first section meeting and quickly took my first story assignment – a profile on an eight-year-old professional photographer.

After becoming a staff writer a few months later, I continued to enjoy working on The Hatchet, but the community still felt out of reach. I didn’t know the names or faces of most Vol. 118 staff members, but I wanted to get more involved, so I applied for a contributing social media director position as soon as Vol. 119 applications opened.

But it wasn’t until I received a text from Clara in June asking if I’d be interested in the contributing culture editor position for the upcoming semester that I truly felt integrated into staff. As I began remotely transitioning into the role over the summer, I annoyed my family by abruptly disappearing for hourlong Zoom meetings while on vacation – something that would become a common theme throughout the next year. Determined to do my best in the role, I quickly picked up editing skills and my own writing improved because of it.

Throughout the fall semester, I had a lot of fun writing entertainment stories for the new reviews section under culture, from a full-circle review of “Funny Girl” on Broadway to Taylor Swift’s “Midnights” album. While simultaneously working on two sections – social and culture – was unusual, I had no idea I would soon be asked to join another – opinions.

On a Sunday afternoon after staff meeting, Opinions Editor Ethan Benn and then-Contributing Opinions editor Riley Goodfellow approached me with a question – “Will you take over as contrib ops this spring?” With a single opinions byline to my name, I was initially unsure how to respond. I had never even applied to be an opinions writer, much less a staff position – but the more I learned about the section, the more excited I became to join. I took a gamble and ended up saying yes to the role before even attending a section meeting, and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made during my time on The Hatchet.

Before I knew it, I was editing – sometimes writing – two opinion pieces a week in addition to an entertainment piece for culture. I had to learn the ropes quickly in a section I never expected to be so closely involved in while maintaining my role in the culture section, which was my one condition to join opinions.

Between culture, social and opinions, my last two years on The Hatchet have taught me about more than just journalism. I’ve learned how to manage a workload each week, balance multiple different facets of life and create a community on campus. Through every obstacle I’ve faced this year, The Hatchet has been a grounding force, even if I may have complained about it occasionally. This paper has been a constant in uncertain times, and I’m so grateful for everything it has given me –  I’ve made lasting friendships and gained invaluable skills working here. It’s extremely uncommon to hold staff positions on three sections within a year. But that ever-evolving experience is what’s defined my time at The Hatchet.

Thanks to everyone who made it all possible:

[gwh_image id=”1188339″ credit=”Lily Speredelozzi | Assistant Photo Editor” size=”large” align=”left” /]

Clara: You are the first person I remember meeting on staff as a nervous reporter in my first section meeting, and I never would have imagined that we’d be this close today. I went from seeing your name on my Google Doc for my Dish of the Week stories to working alongside you to lead the section in what seemed like the blink of an eye. And although being on culture staff has rewarded me with editing experience, press passes to concerts and exciting interviews, my favorite part of it was meeting you. Through every curveball thrown at us this year, I knew I always had you to rant to and, of course, unwind at happy hour with. You’re my forever Hatchet sister, and I’m so glad we will both be in D.C. next year to pop into the townhouse and make sure culture hasn’t gone too long without referencing “Glee” in a story. I will miss our hourslong FaceTimes about The Hatchet with Zach chiming in every so often, but I know they won’t end when we graduate – the topics will just slightly shift. I’m so lucky to know you and I can’t wait to see all the amazing things you accomplish in the future <3

Nora: It’s crazy to think that we were staff writers at the same time last year, attending our Monday night reporter meetings together, but we didn’t know each other at all. I can’t imagine the last semester without you – you’re one of the funniest, coolest people I know. You bring such fresh ideas to the section, and working alongside you as a fellow email girlie has been so much fun. I love your dry sense of humor, spunky attitude and ability to find enjoyment even in mundane moments. I’ll miss sitting next to you in the townhouse next year, but I know we’ll continue our culture happy hours <3

Lily: I was so excited to learn you were taking over as culture photo editor last semester, and working with you every week has only reaffirmed that. I’ve loved getting to know you as a friend while watching you grow as a photographer, and I know you’ll go far next year on The Hatchet and in all your future endeavors. You were a new addition to the culture girlies, but you immediately became an essential part of the group, and I’m so happy I met you! The group chat will stay alive next year <3

Eoighan: You’re the only member of staff I’ve ever known in a non-Hatchet capacity – and that’s an understatement. I didn’t know it at the time, but randomly following you on Kacey Musgraves’ Twitter back in 2018 was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. We’d talked enough for me to know we’d be friends right away when we both ended up at GW – but I had no idea what a significant role you’d play in my life until we ended up in the same lecture and gradually started hanging out daily. It feels like yesterday that we scream-sang “I Bet You Think About Me” while running through campus after I brought you to your first Pi Phi date party almost two years ago. You’ve always been one of the smartest people I know, but it wasn’t until you joined The Hatchet and had me proofread your very first story – which had a total of two edits – that I realized you’re beyond equipped to carry on the .FK legacy after I graduate. You’ve always been my kid and bestie all in one, but now you’re my Hatchling! ? It’s been so exciting to watch you grow so much as a writer and editor in such a short time, and it’s only the beginning for you. Unlike me, you’re not an old hag – and you have so much time ahead of you in college and beyond to do so many extraordinary things. I’ll be cheering you on every step of the way – you can’t get rid of me! XOXO <3

Jarrod: I couldn’t imagine having anyone else as my EIC. You took a chance on my pop culture stories when I joined the section, fielded my drunk pitches at every Hatchet party (and accepted every single one!), dealt with my stream-of-consciousness texts on prodo nights and made me a better writer with your edits, even when you didn’t understand my most basic references. I love our banter – as Kelly Kapoor said, “She said that? Yeah, we have fun.” – and I’m so glad we got the chance to produce the most unexpected collab of all time this semester. I have full confidence that you will be a famous, award-winning journalist in the near future and I’ll get to brag about working with you back in the day. I can’t wait to hear about your on-the-ground reporting adventures post-grad!

Ethan: You know I’ve always been a loyal opinions reader and huge fan of your work long before I joined the section, but that has only grown as I’ve gotten to know you and work alongside you throughout the semester. From our 10-minute long audio message rants to our “slay” debate, I couldn’t imagine working on the opinions section with anyone else. I can say without a doubt that you’re one of the most talented writers I’ve ever met, and it’s been an honor to learn from you this semester. I can’t wait to see all the great things you and Riley continue to do next year – I’ll be reading!

Zach: I’m so glad I got to know you this year. You and Clara are my absolute favorite couple to third wheel for cocktails on prodo nights. I’m looking forward to seeing all the amazing work you’ll do in Vol. 120, and you won’t be getting rid of me anytime soon – Clara and I will happily take over DOTW post grad 😉

Nick: I’ve always been impressed by all your hard work on news, but it means so much to know what a huge supporter of culture you’ve always been. You bring such a fun, positive energy to every meeting and Hatchet party you attend, and I’ve loved getting to know you this semester. I’m so excited to watch you do great things in 120!

Abby and Ethan: I have to shout out team social – even though I was only on the section for a semester, I truly had so much fun getting to know you both. You two were my introductions to Hatchet staff, and I couldn’t have asked for a better fall social team. I can’t wait to see what you do next!

News girlies: It’s no secret that I take the news-ops divide VERY seriously – so much so that I truly struggled to name all five news beats when Clara quizzed me back in December (don’t tell anyone). But even though I’m probably the furthest removed staff member from news, I have so much respect for each and every one of you. You guys are insanely hard-working and quite literally carry the paper on your backs, but have so much fun at the same time. I know you’ll all continue to produce incredible work next semester!

Friends and family: The amount of plans I’ve had to cancel or reschedule this year because of The Hatchet is incalculable – I think every person in my life can attest to that. I can’t thank you enough for the support you’ve shown me these past two years. Whether you’ve listened to me rant about The Hatchet for hours on end, watched me whip out my phone to resolve comments on a Google Doc during a Barcelona birthday dinner (Scout and Aashna <3), reposted my articles on social media or just encouraged me, I love and appreciate every single one of you!

Abo: It wouldn’t be my 30 if I didn’t thank you specifically. I think every single person on staff is excited for you to finally get a formal shout out – as I’ve told you many times before, you’re an honorary Hatchet staff member at this point! We joke that you’re essentially a Hatchet copy editor and should get your own column on the workflow. But you’re more than just a watchful eye – you’ve been immensely supportive of me throughout the entirety of my time as a student journalist. You were the first person I called when I became a culture reporter, staff writer, social media director, contributing culture editor and contributing opinions editor – and every single time, you drafted an Instagram and Facebook post within seconds. You’re without question the president of my fan club, and I’m so lucky to have you. Te quiero mucho <3

-30-