MPD responds to shooting in apartment complex near campus

Kyle Anderson | Staff Photographer
University officials issued a GW alert at 3:24 p.m. to advise community members to avoid the 2400 block of Virginia Avenue due to an “urgent MPD shooting investigation.”

A shooting at an apartment complex near Shenkman Hall left a male victim injured Sunday, a Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson said.

MPD spokesperson Hugh Carew said a man was “conscious and breathing” after he was shot at the Columbia Plaza Apartments at 2400 Virginia Ave. and later transported to a nearby hospital. Carew said MPD received reports of a gunshot victim just before 2:43 p.m. and responded to the call shortly after. 

The suspect is a Black male with no shirt and black shorts and was last seen running into 2301 E Street, according to a tweet MPD posted at 3:06 p.m. Carew said the unknown shooter is still at large as of 3:56 p.m.

MPD did not immediately return requests for further comment.

University officials issued a GW alert at 3:24 p.m. to advise community members to avoid the 2400 block of Virginia Avenue due to an “urgent MPD shooting investigation.” GW issued an “all clear” alert for the scene at 6:07 p.m.

At least five MPD cars, in addition to one firetruck and ambulance, responded outside of 2400 Virginia Avenue, according to a tweet at the scene posted at about 3 p.m. At least 10 Secret Service cars were reported responding outside of 2301 E Street, according to a tweet video of the scene posted at 3:15 p.m.

The U.S. Secret Service declined to comment.