Faculty senate preview: Senators to discuss ownership of classroom recordings

File Photo by Lily Speredelozzi | Assistant Photo Editor
A student strolls through Kogan Plaza’s Trustees Gate on H Street.

Faculty senators will present reports on policy changes for classroom recordings at the Faculty Senate meeting Friday.

The Committee on Educational Policy and Technology will present their annual report, which addresses faculty concerns over classroom recordings, after more than 500 faculty responded to a survey on classroom recordings that a subcommittee administered in November. Faculty reported they are concerned about the potential for unauthorized sharing or editing of their classroom recordings, that class attendance was decreasing due to recordings and that officials would use recordings to promote or discipline faculty without their authorization.

The Committee on Appointments, Salary and Promotion Policies will also present a memorandum to the senate on the ownership of course recordings. The committee’s memorandum proposes officials adopt a policy for full-time faculty members similar to the policy that states officials must notify part-time faculty members if they choose to review their classroom recordings for evaluation.

Senators will also vote on a resolution to provide representation to College of Professional Studies faculty in the senate since there are currently no CPS faculty in the senate because senators are required to be tenured – a title no CPS faculty hold. The resolution proposes changes to the Faculty Organization Plan that allow CPS faculty to nominate two “delegates” who have taught at the school for at least three years and earned the position of associate professor or higher.

Joe Cordes and Susan Kulp, the co-chairs of the Fiscal Planning and Budgeting Committee, will deliver an update to the senate on the Fiscal Year 2023 budget and the FY 2024 budget planning.

Interim University President Mark Wrighton and Jim Tielsch, the chair of the executive committee, will present reports to the senate. Emily Hammond, the vice provost for faculty affairs, will also present a report on salary equity.

The senate will acknowledge eight senators whose terms are ending – Eric Grynaviski, Alice Alexa Joubin, Anthony Yezer, Nicholas Vonortas, Patrick McHugh, Sylvia Marotta-Walters, Kim Roddis and Kurt Johnson.

The senate will also vote on nominees for the Faculty Senate Executive Committee. Senators will also vote on nominee Joan Schaffner, an associate professor of law, for Dispute Resolution Committee chair.