Program Board announces indie-pop singer Maude Latour as Spring Fling performer

Courtesy of Maude Latour
Latour started writing songs when she was a teenager, and the now-22-year-old has released two EPs and more than a dozen singles, including a cover of Kim Wilde’s “Kids in America” for the 2022 Netflix film “Do Revenge.”

Indie-pop artist Maude Latour will perform at Spring Fling Saturday night in Potomac Square, according to a Program Board Instagram post Tuesday.

Latour – who is best known for her 2020 single “One More Weekend” – performed at music festivals Lollapalooza in Chicago and All Things Go in Columbia, Maryland last year while completing two tours in 2022, which featured a stop at Black Cat on the 14th Street corridor. Spring Fling, an annual live music festival on campus, has drawn hundreds of students for years and with past performers including hip-hop artist Swae Lee and pop artist blackbear.

Latour’s performance is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m., according to the post. Latour said she’s excited to return to the DMV for the show and connect with fans as she has during past performances in the region.

“I’m so excited to play!” Latour said in a statement to The Hatchet. “My DMV shows are all perfect memories, I’ve felt so much love and support from the times I’ve come through. From the Black Cat to All Things Go, it’s all been a dream! Let’s make this time the best yet.”

Lydia McGlinn, Program Board’s director of events, said she’s eager to see a shift in the “vibe” of this year’s Spring Fling after the “hype” concert Swae headlined last spring. She said Latour’s indie-pop genre contrasts that of previous Spring Fling headliners, which have largely consisted of hip-hop, R&B and top-40s pop artists.

“As Program Board, we’re super excited to have Maude as our performer this year,” McGlinn said. “I think she’ll bring a new sound to campus that we haven’t had in a long time, and the genre is very new to campus as well. So I think it’ll bring new crowds and people we haven’t seen before.”

Latour started writing songs when she was a teenager, and the now-22-year-old has released two EPs and more than a dozen singles, including a cover of Kim Wilde’s “Kids in America” for the 2022 Netflix film “Do Revenge.” Her latest works include the electrifying synth-pop love songs “Heaven” and “Lunch,” inspired by her current relationship.

McGlinn said Spring Fling merged this year with Student Life’s Buff and Bloom Week, a collection of spring-themed programming the University introduced this year to celebrate the season that runs from April 10 through April 15. She said Spring Fling will follow Put Me On Fest, a music festival in Potomac Square featuring a variety of student artists and bands as a segment of Buff and Bloom.

Put Me On, a music streaming app that a group of students with ties to GW’s music community started developing in 2020, promotes independent artists looking to gain exposure.

Program Board has hosted Spring Fling in University Yard every year since 2013 with the exception of 2019, when a blackbear performance in the Smith Center brought meager crowds.