Best outdoor trail: Mount Vernon Trail

Caroline Moore | Photographer
Spanning 18 miles from George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate to Theodore Roosevelt Island, the trail takes outdoor adventurers through some of the most awe-inspiring landscapes the region has to offer.

Location: From George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate to Theodore Roosevelt Island
Readers’ Pick: Rock Creek Park

When D.C.’s iconic monuments and historic buildings get old, take a breath of fresh air on any of the 18 miles of the picturesque Mount Vernon Trail.

From its breathtaking views of the Potomac River with the national monuments looming in the background to the convergence with several regional trail systems, including Potomac Heritage Trail, Four Mile Run and Rock Creek Park, there is no shortage of adventure to be had on the Mount Vernon Trail. Whether you are a seasoned hiker or a novice, the trail system offers easy-to-navigate terrain and diverse views sure to captivate your attention.

Spanning 18 miles from George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate to Theodore Roosevelt Island, the trail takes outdoor adventurers through some of the most awe-inspiring landscapes the region has to offer. The trail is paved, making hiking, biking or running easy in comparison to more rocky trails.

The Mount Vernon Trail not only offers an outdoor experience but also serves as a gateway to the past. The trail follows the same path as the Potomac River, which was used to transport goods in the 18th century, including from Georgetown and Alexandria, Virginia to George Washington’s Mount Vernon home. Interpretive signs and markers dot the trail, highlighting the canal’s historical significance.

The Mount Vernon Trail is also conveniently located just minutes from the Foggy Bottom campus. A simple walk across the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge will lead you to the tail end of the trail on Theodore Roosevelt Island. Students can easily hop on the Blue or Yellow Metro lines from campus and head to the Arlington Cemetery, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport or Rosslyn Metro stations, which are all a short bike ride or walk away from the trail.

As spring brings warmer temperatures to the District, head down to picnic at Gravelly Point at mile 15 of the trail, get your sweat on with a long run or hop on a Capital Bikeshare and go for a ride along the expansive trail.

The next time you need a break from the city, be sure to explore the serene and historical beauty of the Mount Vernon Trail.