Best karaoke spot: Hill Country

Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor
As one of few D.C. locales to offer a club-like atmosphere on a Wednesday night, college students, locals and even lawmakers frequent Hill Country.

Location: 410 7th St.

Readers’ Pick: Wok and Roll

Wednesday nights can be rough.

Deep into the school and work week but not quite done yet, you can’t blame someone for wanting a brief reprieve from the grind. Luckily, from 8:30 p.m. to midnight each Wednesday night, Hill Country Barbecue transforms into D.C.’s best 21+ karaoke venue.

Located in Penn Quarter, Hill Country is a two-in-one karaoke spot and barbecue restaurant with fairly typical offerings, like brisket ($18.50), pulled pork sandwiches ($13.95) and ribs ($15). The spot’s claim to fame in D.C. is its live band karaoke, which exclusively runs Wednesday nights, making it the ideal midweek stress-relief locale where groups of college students and professionals alike mingle around the bar and dance near the stage.

Typical karaoke joints will have guests sing along to instrumentals from a machine with lyrics on a screen, but Hill Country gives you the full package – a full band ready to play their hearts out to any of the listed throwback songs you desire. The musical environment riles up the audience and invites them to sing along with guitar and drum solos as they play.

Of course, the songs are just half the fun. Guests are encouraged to hit up the bar at the back of the venue before taking to the open floor to sing along and dance to the nonstop karaoke lineup, featuring hits from Taylor Swift, Journey, Bon Jovi and more.

Staying true to the country theme, Hill Country’s array of cocktails include Texan favorites like the Classic Margarita with tequila, triple sec and lime ($8 for a glass, $32 for a pitcher) and Paloma with mezcal, lime, agave nectar and grapefruit Jarritos ($16). Take your pick from the exclusive offerings like the “Blue Bonnet” with gin, house-made blueberry syrup and club soda ($12). A wide array of draft beers ($5 to $8) are also available.

As one of few D.C. locales to offer a club-like atmosphere on a Wednesday night, college students, locals and even lawmakers frequent Hill Country. Just this January, Rep. George Santos, R-Ny., was spotted mingling shoulder to shoulder with GW students while facing backlash for an array of false statements he made about his resume before his election months earlier.

Tickets are $6 per person, and the venue is known to sell out, so be sure to grab your friends and plan ahead. Whether you’re a student looking for a quick night of fun before your 9:35 a.m. Thursday class or an infamous congressman deflecting calls for your resignation, Hill Country offers a karaoke experience like no other in D.C.