Best açaí bowl: Zeleno’s PB Power Bowl

Stephen Li | Photographer
If you find yourself looking for a healthy, cool and refreshing bite to eat this spring, make sure to stop by Zeleno for the PB Power Bowl.

Location: 1605 Connecticut Ave. NW

Readers’ pick: South Block’s Green Bowl

For many college students, healthy bites are hard to come by, but Zeleno offers a great variety of healthy options just a 20-minute walk from Foggy Bottom in Dupont Circle for those looking to escape the monotony of campus food.

Inside, the cafe stirs up a hip and minimalist atmosphere, featuring wicker furniture and strings of plants throughout the store. The vibrant paintings on the walls offer a stark contrast to the white walls, and the soft electronic music playing in the background creates a soothing feel.

Whether you’re craving a sandwich, smoothie or coffee, Zeleno provides a multitude of delicious and satiating options, but the cafe’s centerpiece is undoubtedly their açaí bowls. Zeleno’s menu is packed with seven impressive açaí bowl options, including the Keto Fuel Bowl, the PB Power Bowl and the Island Refresh Bowl. All bowls come in two sizes – 16 oz ($9.80) and 24 oz ($11.80).

The PB Power Bowl features a plethora of ingredients including a thick smoothie base made with frozen banana, zucchini, almond milk, cacao powder, cacao nibs, chia seeds, peanut butter and coconut nectar. The delectable concoction is topped with homemade granola, banana-almond flakes, toasted coconut flakes, cacao nibs, more peanut butter and the cherry on top – a gorgeous, bright-purple edible flower. The strong peanut butter taste encompassing every bite is balanced by the sweetness of the bananas and the light notes of coconut. The frozen banana and peanut butter base complete with a touch of zucchini provides a constant rich, earthy taste to the bowl.

To finish your bowl off with a refreshing, fruity taste, the Blue Laguna smoothie ($8.80 for 16 oz or $10.80 for 24 oz) serves as a tangy palate cleanser to the creamy, chocolaty bowl. The Blue Laguna combines bananas, pineapples, coconut milk and blue spirulina to create frozen perfection. The pineapple elicits a citrusy sensation, while the blue spirulina adds bright color and nutrition. For those in search of a tropical drink, the Blue Laguna smoothie is a great option.

If you find yourself looking for a healthy, cool and refreshing bite to eat this spring, make sure to stop by Zeleno for the PB Power Bowl. The trendy cafe offers a satisfying and delectable experience, and their health-conscious options are plentiful.