Biden nominates alums to cabinet positions
By Sachini Adikari, Contributing News Editor • May 2, 2024

SA candidates participate in postering day, kickstart campaign period

Sage Russell | Staff Photographer
Six Student Association candidates attended the annual postering day to kickoff campaigning for next week’s SA elections.

Half a dozen Student Association candidates attended the annual postering day event Monday, kickstarting the campaign season.

Presidential, vice presidential and senatorial candidates gathered in Kogan Plaza Monday morning to begin the start of the official campaign period, distributing posters across campus. Candidates said they were enthusiastic about the beginning of the campaign period, despite last-minute adjustments to the date of the event after the Joint Elections Commission delayed the election to April 13 and 14.

Printing issues delayed the start of postering day for vice presidential candidate Demetrius Apostolis for more than half an hour after JEC Commissioner Fatima Konte said the senate chairperson pro tempore submitted his posters to the commission in the wrong ratio. The JEC website states candidates can submit their campaign materials to the JEC prior to the start of the campaign period to be printed for free, using SA funding.

The website states posters may not exceed 18 inches by 12 inches, but it does not specify any other ratio requirements.

Apostolis said the delay in receiving his posters was “stressful,” but he was still able to secure the spots he wanted for his posters. He said he tried to place posters near door scanners, walkways and doors to maximize visibility.

“I want to place all the posters in the most visible spots possible so that students are really able to see it,” Apostolis said.

Apostolis said he was excited to see increased candidate turnout during this year’s postering day. He also participated in last year’s postering event, which attracted record-low attendance, while running for a CCAS-U senate seat.

“I think it’s definitely a step in the right direction,” Apostolis said. “I think it’s still less than what it could be, but I think it’s overall still better.”

Presidential candidate and SA Sen. Rami Hanash Jr., GWSB-U, said postering day is “very important” in the campaign process because it creates enthusiasm for campaigns and allows candidates to interact with potential voters face to face. He said he saw more candidates putting up posters than he did last year, when he was one of just two candidates participating in the event.

“This is the groundwork,” Hanash said. “This is how you can show, as a candidate, that you care.”

Later in the day, two other CCAS-U senate candidates, freshmen Jonesy Strell and Dan Saleem, distributed posters across campus.

Noah Jordan, a candidate for the CCAS-U undergraduate seat, said the JEC did not print his posters before the official start of the campaign period. He said once his posters were printed, he would replace the ones he printed himself prior to postering day.

“This is ratchet, this is terrible, I printed these out 15 minutes ago,” he said, referring to his poster. “I was really hoping the JEC would get back to us on printing it officially.”

Konte said she was unsure about why the printing of Jordan’s posters was delayed. Jordan said he received the correct posters “a few hours later” and displayed them in a tilted fashion to draw potential voters’ attention.

“Straight up and down, your eyes pass right over them, but if it’s like this, it looks like they did it wrong and that makes you want to look at it again,” he said.