Student Court schedules hearing for next week on presidential candidate’s verification

GW%E2%80%99s+endowment+growth+ranked+ninth+compared+to+its+12+peer+schools%2C+according+to+data+compiled+by+the+National+Association+of+College+and+University+Business+Officers.+
file photo by Michelle Lin
GW’s endowment growth ranked ninth compared to its 12 peer schools, according to data compiled by the National Association of College and University Business Officers.

The Student Court will hear arguments April 8 to decide whether a prospective presidential candidate was unjustly excluded from the Student Association election ballot.

The court released an order Thursday night saying they would hear prospective presidential candidate Mohamed Redzuan Bin Mohamed Raffe’s complaint that the Joint Elections Commission unfairly excluded him from the ballot after the JEC struck down 14 of his 394 gathered signatures for lacking GWIDs. The court’s order bars the JEC from holding an election until the court makes its final judgment on the case.

“Given the expedited review timeline and the nature of the case, the Court endeavors to resolve this case in an efficient manner,” Chief Justice Devin Eager said in an email to the parties.

The JEC delayed the election Tuesday after receiving multiple complaints surrounding the disqualification of candidates from the ballot. The JEC proposed rescheduling the election to April 13 and 14, which the Student Association Senate Governance and Nominations Committee approved Thursday.

The JEC said in its public meeting Friday that postering day will be rescheduled to Monday, kickstarting the campaign period.

Both parties have until 11:59 p.m. Monday to submit briefs to the chief justice. The court will hear oral arguments April 8 at 5 p.m. in the Burns Moot Court Room in Lerner Hall.

The Student Court has not announced updates to the two other cases regarding candidate verification that incumbent SA President Christian Zidouemba and SA senator hopeful Aidan Spencer filed against the JEC.

There have not been three simultaneously active Student Court cases since 1997, according to the court’s docket history.