GW dishes out three new name options for kosher cafe

File Photo by Phebe Grosser | Staff Photographer
GW’s Hillel building on the corner of 23rd and H streets in August 2021.

GW Hillel is cooking up a new name for its kosher eatery, Hillel Cafe.

Officials announced Zingers, The Sandwich Rabbi and Kibitz Cafe as the three finalists for the new cafe’s name, which students can vote on in the comments of a joint Instagram post by GW Dining and GW Hillel Friday. As of Sunday, community members have cast nine votes for Zingers, five for The Sandwich Rabbi and 10 for Kibitz Cafe, according to the post’s comments.

The post said Zingers refers to the cafe’s signature sandwich – which includes a Southern-fried pickle-brined chicken breast and cilantro slaw.

The Sandwich Rabbi is a nod to the Passover sandwich eaten at every seder, the “Hillel Sandwich,” which contains a mixture of bitter herbs and a fruit-and-nut dish between two pieces of matzah, and derives its nickname from its namesake Rabbi Hillel, the caption said.

The third and final option, Kibitz Cafe, is a reference to the Yiddish word kibitz, which means “to speak informally” or “to chat,” because officials hope to provide a social and homelike space for members of the GW community.

The cafe opened in January inside the Hillel building located on the corner of 23rd and H streets as a partnership between GW Dining and GW Hillel, a Jewish student organization. Officials stirred up plans for the cafe’s debut over the past few years, following a renovation of the building in July 2021.

The cafe’s name change comes after officials wrapped up “Moniker Madness” last month, a series of activities to gather feedback on the University’s moniker options, including a campus-wide survey and a fan participation event at the Smith Center. Officials pared down four final moniker options to Ambassadors, Revolutionaries, Sentinels and Blue Fog last week after the University announced they were retiring the Colonials moniker last June.

“Like Moniker Madness, but better,” the post’s caption reads.

Faith Wardwell contributed reporting.