CLRE to hire community engagement advisers, assistants for freshmen residence halls

File Photo by Arielle Bader
Thurston Hall is among the first few residence halls where a professional moving company will begin packing students’ belongings.

Campus Living and Residential Education officials are looking to hire student community engagement advisers and community engagement assistants in first-year residence halls for the next academic year.

In an effort to aid community coordinators, CLRE is seeking student community engagement advisers who will live in first-year residence halls and community engagement assistants to organize social programming and support on-campus residents. The positions will be paid an hourly salary of $17 for 10 to 15 work hours per week and are open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors, who can apply until March 29, according to an email from CLRE officials Tuesday.

“We are looking for GW students who want to make a positive impact in our first-year residence halls,” CLRE officials said in an email.

Community engagement advisers will organize events for freshmen students to meet, identify residents’ issues and help facilitate the roommate agreement process at the beginning of the academic year. CLRE will provide a $3,000 housing credit for community engagement advisors to reside in “assigned” first-year residence halls with a roommate of their choice.

Officials are inviting students to apply for two community engagement assistant positions – a programming and community-building role that will mediate roommate concerns and agreements and a community services and support role that will design residence hall lobbies and bulletin boards.

The opening of the community engagement advisor and assistant student positions comes after officials eliminated GW’s residence adviser program in February 2021, transferring counseling, safety and on-call responsibilities to community coordinators because of concerns about the “complexity” of the duties.

Officials will notify applicants to schedule interviews by April 1 and conduct interviews from April 3 to April 5. Officials will ask applicants who were offered positions to attend a “Group Process” session on April 8, according to CLRE officials.

Officials said community engagement advisors and assistants will be required to return to campus on Aug. 11 for position training.

Officials held information sessions for the positions Tuesday in the Thurston penthouse lounge and Thursday in the District House first-floor lounge.