SA President Zidouemba files for reelection, preliminary ballot shows

File Photo by Lucas Cabrera Haché | Photographer
The senate unanimously passed the Constitutional Amendments Act of 2023, which adds a referendum to the ballot for the April 5 and 6 elections asking students to approve amendments clarifying language in the SA constitution.

The Joint Elections Commission released a preliminary ballot for next month’s Student Association elections Friday, showing SA President Christian Zidouemba has filed to run for reelection.

The ballot lists seven presidential candidates, including Zidouemba – who initially said earlier this month he would not run for reelection. The seven candidates vying for the presidency are the most since 2009, when seven candidates also ran, according to Hatchet archives.

Zidouemba declined to initially comment on his candidacy, and he has yet to officially announce his campaign.

The JEC released the initial list of candidates as the commission verifies petition signatures earned by the office seekers.

Along with Zidouemba, his chief of staff Keanu Rowe and former senior policy adviser Edy Koenigs have also announced presidential runs. Koenigs’ boyfriend and the SA’s former secretary of transportation, Nathan Orner, also earned the requisite 385 signatures to place him on the ballot.

SA Sen. Rami Hanash Jr., GWSB-U, Vice President of External Affairs for GW Entrepreneurship Club Mohamed Redzuan Bin Mohamed Raffe and Residence Hall Association President Arielle Geismar have also filed for the presidency.

Senate chairperson pro tempore Demetrius Apostolis and executive treasurer Arya Thakur will face off in the vice presidential race.

Fourteen candidates filed for senate seats, seven fewer than last year for a 33 percent reduction. The SA Senate consists of 44 seats.

None of the senate races are contested, and senate races within five schools have no candidates.

Three of the unopposed candidates are graduate students, along with one law student, SA Sen. Simon Patmore-Zarcone, who filed for reelection.

The JEC also released the text of the sole referendum, which amends several sections of the SA Constitution.