McConnell discharged from GW Hospital after fall

Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Mich., will remain in the GW Hospital for five to seven days as she recovers, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., was discharged from GW Hospital Monday after spending five days recovering from complications resulting from a fall last week. 

McConnell’s spokesperson David Popp said in a press release Monday that the Kentucky senator was receiving treatment for a concussion and minor rib fracture, which medical staff discovered during his stay. McConnell was admitted to the hospital last Wednesday after he tripped and fell at a fundraising dinner for the Senate Leadership Fund at the Waldorf Astoria in Federal Triangle.

McConnell gave remarks during the event, according to the Washington Post. 

Popp said McConnell is recovering from his concussion “well,” adding that he and his wife, former Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao, appreciate the support. 

“The Leader and Secretary Chao are deeply thankful for the skilled medical care, prayers and kindness they have received,” Popp said in the release. 

Popp said McConnell would return home and back to the Senate after undergoing physical therapy at an “inpatient rehabilitation facility” following his release from the hospital.

Sen. John Thune, R-Sd., took over for McConnell at the Senate Republican leadership press conference during the past two weeks while he has been recovering in the hospital. 

McConnell was the second U.S. senator in nearly a month to be treated at GW Hospital after Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., spent two days there in February after experiencing lightheadedness. Medical staff discharged Fetterman after he tested negative for a stroke and did not show signs of a potential seizure.