Athletes in Action: GW Men’s Rowing

Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer
An eight-person boat full of the GW Men’s Rowing team members sits atop the Potomac River as an early morning practice gets underway.

GW Men’s Rowing is in the height of its winter preparations for the spring season, which kicks off April 2 with the Occoquan Sprints.

The Hatchet joined the team for an early morning practice on the Potomac River Wednesday:

Two teammates stand at the dock along the Potomac River as the sun begins to rise behind the Kennedy Center in the distance. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
Marci Robles, the head coach for women’s rowing, stands inside the Thompson Boat Center, where both teams practice from Monday to Saturday, weather permitting. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
The team stretches in the boathouse before hitting the water. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
Team members lift a boat in the distance as others warm up in the boathouse. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
Junior Braeden Arthur hoists a boat overhead. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
Buff and blue oars rest on the riverside dock. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
The morning sky casts a dark silhouette against a four – a four-person boat – on the Potomac River. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
From left to right, freshman Nilesh Patel, sophomore Matthew Lepis, senior Alex Canfield, senior Noah Axford and senior Aidan Rowland row in a four, their breath fogging in the morning cold. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
The bow ball casts a reflection on the water as it glides ahead. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
Water splashes into the air as Lepis paddles an oar with two hands, also known as sweep rowing. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)
The rowing squad cheers – practice is over. (Jordan Tovin | Staff Photographer)