SBA Senate asks law journal competition to help part-time students with earlier start

Lucas Cabrera Haché | Photographer
SBA Sen. Anissa Tanksley said students should not have to sacrifice their mental health and their small amount of free time to fight a barrier that is “unnecessary.”

The Student Bar Association unanimously voted Tuesday to call on the GW Law Journal Competition to give part-time students adequate time to submit work.

The resolution will urge GW Law Journal Competition to revise the current start date for the competition to two days earlier in an effort to allow part-time and evening students – most of whom have full-time jobs and other responsibilities on top of their course load – additional time to work undisturbed on writing for the journal. SBA Sen. Anissa Tanksley said she did not believe students should have to sacrifice their mental health and their small amount of free time to fight a barrier that is “unnecessary.”

“I am fully confident that most part-time students in their tenacity and their motivation to do incredible things have figured out, and can figure out, how to make that schedule work for them,” she said. “That being said, I don’t want them to have to do that.”

Senators also unanimously approved funding to reimburse GW’s chapter of the International Refugee Assistance Project for hosting a lunch for executive board members to meet the organization’s national student coordinator.

“I think it’s kind of silly to force someone who’s a student to pay for a meal for someone who came to the campus as part of the organization,” SBA Sen. Delaney Gatine said.

Senators unanimously approved funding to reimburse Hector Gonzalez Magno for expenses associated with his trip to attend the Hispanic National Bar Association 2023 Corporate Counsel Conference, which will take place from March 9th to 11th.

SBA senators unanimously confirmed first-year law student Sidney Lee as director of the elections committee. The former director, Katrina Ramkissoon, resigned in January to pursue an externship.

Roger Johnson, an associate judge in the SBA Supreme Court, said the court found that the senate can constitutionally delegate the authority to set the election date to SBA President Nicole Karem. He said the senate does not need to make any official statement about the delegation.

SBA elections will be held March 10.

SBA Sen. Raisa Shah said she is working with the executive branch to coordinate a diversity week in the beginning of April where students can partake in conversations about “culture and career development” and a world fair with food and music from around the world.

The next SBA Senate meeting will be held March 7 at 9:15 p.m. in the Law Learning Center.