Picturing Politics: White House screening of ‘Till’

White+House+Press+Secretary+Karine+Jean-Pierre+embraces+a+child+attending+the+White+House+screening+of+Till+Thursday.+
Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer
White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre embraces a child attending the White House screening of “Till” Thursday.

The White House hosted a screening of the movie “Till” in the East Room Thursday.

The film, directed by Chinonye Chukwu, tells the story of Emmett Till, whose murder in 1955 became one of the driving forces of the Civil Rights Movement. Among the guests were members of Till’s family including his cousin, Priscilla Sterling, who has advocated for a Mississippi court to serve a newly discovered arrest warrant to a woman it charges with the kidnapping of Till.

The Supreme Court heard the Twitter v. Taamneh case Monday which will work to determine whether big tech companies are liable for terrorist content under the Anti-Terrorism Act and the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act. 

Check out these photos from the White House movie screening and the Supreme Court:

The screening of “Till” played in the East Room of the White House. (Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer )
President Joe Biden delivered remarks before the screening at the White House. (Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer )
A journalist positions her phone on a tripod in front of the Supreme Court as hearings begin for the Twitter v. Taamneh case. (Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer )