Picturing Politics: 30th Anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act

Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer
Representative Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut speaking at the Department of Labor in honor the 30th anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act on Monday.

This week, the White House played host to former President Bill Clinton in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act. This act, passed Feb. 5, 1993, was the first piece of legislation Clinton passed as president and made it possible for workers to receive paid leave when ill or after pregnancy. Currently, workers must be employed at least one year to be eligible for paid leave.

The State of the Union Address was held Tuesday, followed by The Center For American Progress’s Leadership Summit and a panel discussion on support for Ukraine’s democracy held by the United States Institute of Peace.

Here are images from past the few days at the White House:

Second Gentlemen Doug Emhoff at the White House for the celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act Monday.
(Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer)
Guests gather for the United States Institute of Peace panel Wednesday. (Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer )
The United States Institute of Peace held a conversation Wednesday regarding the crucial need for support of Ukraine’s democracy. (Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer )
The Center for American Progress held its State and Local Leaders Summit Wednesday, where Maryland Gov. Wes Moore spoke on his first 19 days in office.
(Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer )