Anti-romance movies and TV shows to watch if you’re single on Valentine’s Day

Photo Illustration by Florence Shen | Staff Photographer
These picks might help you remember being single doesn’t mean you’re alone this Valentine’s Day.

It’s that time of the year once again when couples obnoxiously flaunt their love with public displays of affection that bring singles to the brink of reinstalling the dreaded dating app tundra.

I call upon all my fellow singles to put down your phones and pick up the remote for a night in – or several – with comfort TV shows and movies to strengthen your relationship with yourself. Check out this lovingly curated list of unromantic content, all of which are available for free on various streaming platforms, and embrace singledom this Valentine’s Day because it’s just another Tuesday in 2023.

“Lovesick”
Where to Watch: Netflix
Aired: April 15, 2015 – Jan. 1, 2018

To most people, notifying each of your sexual partners that they might have chlamydia would be a nightmare. But soulmate-obsessed Dylan (Johnny Flynn) chooses to turn his chlamydia diagnosis into an opportunity for closure. Each episode in the series revisits Dylan’s failed relationships, highlighting his hopeless-romantic nature as we see how he desperately held onto relationships that were doomed from the start out of fear of being alone. After his walks down memory lane, which were prompted by his diagnosis, Dylan slowly comes to terms with the fact that none of these women were right for him. “Lovesick” is my first line of defense against the sappy single Valentine’s Day blues because it has the ultimate slow-burn relationship between Dylan and his best friend Evie (Antonia Thomas), who repeatedly fall for one another at the most inconvenient times. The show serves as a reminder that if you become too obsessive searching for “the one,” you’ll miss out on everything else life has to offer.

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”
Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video
Aired: March 19, 2004

Be honest, if you could erase your ex and all of the pain that goes along with a broken heart, would you? In this anti-rom-com, Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) take the plunge and undergo procedures to remove their memories of one another after a difficult fight. Although there are magical elements at play, Joel and Clementine’s relationship is relatable, raw and chock-full of romantic chemistry. The film unpacks their partnership out of order, leaving viewers in suspense as the audience shuffles through each memory just before it disappears, all at the whims of the company Joel has hired to erase Clementine from his mind. Will erasing each other keep these long-suffering lovers apart? You’ll have to watch to find out. Be warned: this film has been known to induce intense ugly crying – we’re talking uncontrollable snot-nosed tears, folks.

“The Good Place”
Where to Watch: Netflix
Aired: Sept. 19, 2016 – Jan. 30, 2020

If for some reason you haven’t seen this part-comedic masterpiece, part-philosophical minefield, now is the time. Applying a binary approach to the afterlife, this show sends all humans to “The Good Place” or “the Bad Place,” depending on how they spent their time on Earth. Four people in “The Good Place” grow closer to one another in a quest to better themselves, teaching each other everything from the highlights of moral philosophy to acts of selflessness, all the while fighting against demons for their rightful places in the afterworld. For those who have already seen this series, I’d argue it’s worth a second binge-watch as a refresher on the importance of self-improvement and friendship. Use “The Good Place” to imbue Valentine’s Day with equally essential forms of love – self and platonic.

“Fleabag”
Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video
Aired: July 21, 2016 – April 8, 2019

I have watched this two-season series at least six times, and my only complaint is that there is no third season. Written by and starring Emmy award-winning actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge, this program constantly breaks down the fourth wall and the unnamed main character’s boundaries, laying her most vulnerable thoughts bare for viewers. At the center of this dramedy is the love-hate relationship between the main character and her sister as they navigate disappointing romance and their estrangement from their father. Instead of getting caught up in every couple’s tribute post on Instagram, take a page from “Fleabag” and have an honest, unfiltered conversation with yourself about what you want out of life.

“The First Wives Club”
Where to Watch: HBO Max
Aired: Sept. 20, 1996

I’d like to dedicate this cult classic to all of the lonely hearts who have recently left long-term relationships. Powerhouse comediennes Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn portray estranged friends from college, reunited by the tragic death of their friend. For old times’ sake, they have lunch together and quickly find common ground after revealing to one another that all of their exhusbands cheated with younger women. As a united front, they hatch a plan to exact revenge on their exes. Hilarity ensues as they even the scales and develop confidence in themselves as individuals. Watching these three friends build each other up is the perfect remedy for anyone who has survived a bad break-up and needs a nudge in the direction of self-love.

“Heartbreak High”
Where to Watch: Netflix
Aired: Sept. 14, 2022 – Present

Despite the oversaturation of edgy teen shows on streaming platforms, this dramedy series balances heartaches with absurdist humor and discussions of serious issues impacting the modern teen. On the first day of the fall term, the principal discovers a graffiti wall in the basement, documenting the sexual exploits of Hartley High school students as illustrated by main characters Amerie (Ayesha Madon) and Harper (Asher Yasbincek). Dubbed the “Incest Map,” this artistic rendering of teenagers’ private lives pits the students against Amerie for exposing their secrets. Even in her lowest moment, Amerie still manages to find forever friends who help her navigate through the social minefield of dating in high school. The students who attend “Heartbreak High” go through messy breakups and betrayals as young people are prone to, but the core friendships grow stronger. This show might help you remember being single doesn’t mean you’re alone this Valentine’s Day.