Picturing Politics: Lunar New Year Celebration at the White House

Biden+meets+guests+in+the+East+Room+of+the+White+House+for+a+Lunar+New+Year+celebration+Thursday.+
Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer
Biden meets guests in the East Room of the White House for a Lunar New Year celebration Thursday.

During the past week in Washington, The Hatchet attended the White House’s first-ever Lunar New Year celebration and caught members of the press peppering President Joe Biden with questions on the South Lawn.

At the Lunar New Year celebration in the East Room of the White House Thursday, Biden greeted a crowd that included Elaine Tso, the CEO of Asian Services in Action, U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai and Olympic figure skater Nathan Chen. During his address, he offered remarks of condolences and solidarity in response to the shooting in Monterey Park, California, where 11 people were killed and nine were injured at a ballroom hours after a Lunar New Year celebration.

Four days later, Biden answered questions on the South Lawn Monday about his plans to meet with Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy, raise the debt ceiling and travel to Europe for the one-year anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Here are the shots from the past week in Washington:

Members from the Choy Wun Lion dance troupe preform at the White House Lunar New Year celebration Thursday.
Biden extends his finger to the audience as he speaks about the shooting in Monterey Park late last month, where 11 people were killed and nine were injured at a ballroom where a Lunar New Year celebration took place hours earlier.
The press peppers Biden with questions about national debt and his plans to visit Europe for the one-year anniversary of Russia’s War in Ukraine after he landed at the White House Monday.
Biden walks back to the Oval Office after answering questions from the media on the South Lawn Monday.