Athletes in action: Baseball takes the diamond at chilly offseason practice

Sage Russell | Photographer
Tim Nicholson, a sophomore catcher from Maryland, takes in the beauty of the baseball diamond during afternoon practice earlier this month.

Updated: Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:38 p.m.

Even in the cold of January, GW’s baseball team suits up for offseason practice at their facility in Arlington, Virginia.

In the first installment of our newest photo series profiling GW’s student-athletes, The Hatchet got a behind-the-scenes look at the sights of the squad in action on the field and cracking jokes from the dugout.

Sophomore southpaw Shugy Klein eyes the seams of the baseball in the palm of his hand.
Senior left-handed pitcher Michael Foltz fires a pitch while the Colonials take infield reps on the diamond behind him.
Sophomore catcher Tim Nicholson crouches behind home plate, preparing to catch a warmup pitch from the mound.
Graduate student catcher Anthony Frechette takes a hefty hack during batting practice.
Head Coach Gregg Ritchie raises his phone in the direction of his players standing before his camera’s lens. Ritchie has coached the Colonials for 10 seasons, now entering his 11th year.
Volunteer assistant coach Bryan Liriano-Hernandez loads a baseball into a pitching machine for fielding drills.
From left to right, infielder Bryan Belo and pitchers Anthony Germinerio, Austin Odell and Christopher Kahler smile for a picture as they hang inside the dugout.
The bullpen is in motion with pitchers stretching and warming up with bands and weighted balls.
Right-handed pitcher Connor Harris walks along the left-field line with left-handed pitcher Rich Pfluger during practice.
Pitchers Anthony Germinerio, Austin Odell and Christopher Kahler watch practice from the dugout.

This post was updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported the Head Coach Greg Ritchie has coached the baseball team for nine seasons. He has completed 10 seasons of coaching at GW. The Hatchet also misidentified infielder Bryan Belo as utility player Alexander Wright. We regret these errors. This post has also been updated to clarify that left-handed pitcher Rich Pfluger is pictured walking along the left-field foul line with right-handed pitcher Connor Harris.