GW partners with telehealth company to provide free virtual counseling for students

Maya Nair | Staff Photographer
The telehealth services do not replace, but “complements” the health care services provided by the Student Health Center, according to an email sent last week.

Officials formed a partnership with AcademicLiveCare to provide free counseling, urgent medical care, therapy and psychiatry appointments for students, officials announced in an email last Tuesday.

Students now have access to unlimited appointments with therapists, nutritionists and psychiatrists at an extension of the University’s on-campus health surfaces and can access health care services while away from campus over breaks. ACL “complements,” but does not replace the health care services provided by the Student Health Center, according to the email.

Students can choose a new therapist or nutritionist at any time, but can’t choose a different psychiatrist because of medication management treatment plans.

“This semester, we are expanding our counseling and medical services to provide students with additional virtual opportunities to see a counselor or medical provider at times that may be more convenient to your busy schedule,” the Student Health Center team said in the email.

Students enrolled in any School of Medicine program are not allowed to use ACL services because the School of Medicine and Health Sciences provides mental health services that aren’t accessible to other GW students.

“GW students now have access to expanded telehealth through our partnership with AcademicLiveCare (ALC) featuring additional counseling services, urgent medical care, therapy, and psychiatry appointments at no cost to full-time GW students,” officials said on the Student Health Center website.