Year in review: Defining photos of 2022

Media Credit: Sophia Moten | Staff Photographer

Protesters cry out in unison at the Women's March near the U.S. Capitol in October. The crowd of thousands rallied support of pro-choice congressional candidates in a year struck by threats to abortion protections.

The fast-paced fervor of Foggy Bottom and the city that surrounds it can reach a momentary standstill through the lens of a camera, offering a glimpse of its own story – a flicker of the world in motion.

Our photo team set out across D.C. this year to capture the visual side of the news we report, from protests against war and violence overseas to the roaring cheers of sports fans in the Smith Center. We picked the most emblematic shots of the past 12 months that GW and the District have experienced.

Take a look back at the images that defined 2022:

Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor

Thousands of demonstrators protested federal COVID-19 vaccine and mask mandates at the National Mall in January, yelling “lock him up” in reference to President Joe Biden and his then-Chief Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci.

Sydney Walsh

Hundreds of protesters gathered near the White House in solidarity with Ukraine after Russia invaded the neighboring country in late February.

Erin Leone | Staff Photographer

Cherry blossoms reached peak bloom in late March as pink petals drew in crowds of onlookers basking in the beauty of early spring.

Grace Hromin

Interim University President Mark Wrighton feeds a treat to his dog Spike at the F Street House. Wrighton and his furry friend have become familiar faces to the streets of Foggy Bottom since January.

Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor

Swae Lee entertains a crowd of students at Spring Fling in University Yard in April.

Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor

A protester grips a sign outside of the Supreme Court in May following the leak of the court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, a ruling that would be made official the following month.

Jordyn Bailer | Assistant Photo Editor

A graduate stands in celebration at Commencement on the National Mall in May. The event marked the in-person return to the spring tradition after the pandemic pushed ceremonies online for the classes of 2020 and 2021.

Student Association President Christian Zidouemba looks on as former SA Legislator General Dylan Basescu speaks in Student Court. Basescu represented Cordelia Scales, the SA’s former chief of staff who alleged Zidouemba’s presidency was illegitimate.

Allison Robbert | Photographer

Junior opposite Liv Womble was an electrifying source of energy for volleyball, steering the program to the Atlantic 10 semifinals and leading the team in kills.

Allison Robbert | Photographer

President Joe Biden wore shifting expressions as he reflected on the midterm elections in the White House in November. Democrats exceeded expectations, winning control of the U.S. Senate.

Kimberly Courtney | Photographer

The men’s basketball squad huddles around Head Coach Chris Caputo, the program’s new leader who has sought to restore a culture of winning in the Smith Center.

Florence Shen | Photographer

Eyes glued to the TV monitors at Duke’s Grocery, soccer fans exhibited signs of defeat watching the United States’ run in the World Cup come to an end with a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands earlier this month.