Kitchen fire in Residences on the Avenue apartments causes sprinkler flooding

At+least+eight+fire+trucks+responded+to+the+emergency+after+in-unit+sprinklers+extinguished+the+fire.+
Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
At least eight fire trucks responded to the emergency after in-unit sprinklers extinguished the fire.

In-unit sprinklers extinguished a kitchen fire on the eighth floor of the Residences on the Avenue apartment complex Tuesday.

Sprinkler systems at the Avenue apartment complex on the 2200 block of I Street, a popular off-campus housing location for students, extinguished a “small kitchen fire” in an East Tower 29-tier apartment, according to an email to residents, which was obtained by The Hatchet. Jennifer Donelan, the director of communications for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services, said the fire was extinguished prior to their arrival on the scene.

“Residents in the below and surrounding apartments: There will be water in your apartment and we have flood disaster relief teams on route to begin mediation,” the email reads.

At least eight fire trucks responded to the emergency, and responders reached the scene at about 4:11 p.m. Tuesday, according to a FEMS tweet.

“No injuries reported,” the post reads. “Sprinklers save lives and property.”