Bart Kogan, the namesake of Kogan Plaza, dies at 75

Campus+went+into+a+frenzy+when+Kanye+West+arrived+for+an+unexpected+show+to+promote+his+then-upcoming+album+%E2%80%9CJesus+is+King%E2%80%9D+in+Lisner+Auditorium.+
Krishna Rajpara | Assistant Photo Editor
Campus went into a frenzy when Kanye West arrived for an unexpected show to promote his then-upcoming album “Jesus is King” in Lisner Auditorium.

Barton “Bart” Kogan, an alumnus, donor and the namesake of Kogan Plaza, died on Oct. 3, according to a University release. He was 75.

Kogan graduated from GW’s School of Business in 1969 with a bachelor’s degree in business management, then received his master’s degree in counseling in 1970. Kogan and his family made the donation sponsoring the construction of Kogan Plaza in 1999.

Kogan donated $500,000 to build the plaza in the center of campus. At the time, the donation made him one of the top donors in the University’s history.

At the time, Kogan said much of the money would go toward tuition relief because the construction of the outdoor, open-air space would not cost the full amount of his donation.

“My experience at GW was that there was no open space except what, at the time, was a very cluttered University Yard,” Kogan told The Hatchet in 1999. “I wanted a city campus, but this was just a bit sparse.”

During his time at the University, Kogan was a member of the fraternity Kappa Sigma, and he became an active alumnus after graduating, serving as the chapter’s alumni advisor and even attending fraternity barbecues. Kogan visited GW’s chapter twice annually to meet new pledges and watch their initiation.

After graduating, he began working for the Continental Telephone Corporation, which Verizon later acquired. Kogan shifted into real estate, founding BHK Management, an apartment development and management company.

Kogan served on the business school’s board of advisors for 22 years.

According to a University release, he served as president of the Western Region of the Federation of Temple Mens’ Clubs and served on the boards of Los Angeles Hebrew High School and of the Zeigler School of Rabbinic Studies at American Jewish University. At the time of his death, Kogan co-chaired the board of governors for the Sinai Temple of Los Angeles.

The release states that the Sinai Temple of Los Angeles will hold a memorial service “at a future date.”