Officials introduce new vice provost of budget and finance

Courtesy of The George Washington University
Michael Glatzer, the new vice provost of budget and finance, has overseen budgets for business, finance and consulting organizations like Northrop Grumman Corporation, Lund Industries and Berkline Benchcraft.

Officials announced a new vice provost of budget and finance Thursday.

Michael Glatzer, the assistant vice president of finance and project management and acting deputy chief financial officer at Howard University, will take over the role of vice provost of budget and finance Oct. 17, according to a University release. The release states that Glatzer will focus on aligning the student affairs budget with the University’s academic mission and will report academic financial matters to the Faculty Senate and Chief Financial Officer and Vice President Bruno Fernandes.

“Michael’s extensive experience in higher education and academic medicine budgeting and finance, his prioritization of campus-wide, cross-departmental collaborations and his passion for innovation and higher education impressed everyone who spoke with him,” said Provost Chris Bracey. “He will be a critical fiscal adviser and excellent addition to the provost senior leadership team as we work to strengthen academic excellence and the student experience at GW.”

The release states that a search firm, GW community members and the Faculty Senate Executive Committee selected Glatzer from a national search before selecting Glatzer for the role.

Glatzer led finances for Howard University’s “flagship” hospital and helped execute Howard’s strategic plans. The release states that in his former professional roles, Glatzer has also overseen budgets for business, finance and consulting organizations like Northrop Grumman Corporation, Lund Industries and Berkline Benchcraft.

“I am honored and excited to join GW, an important educational and research institution with a tremendous history and an even brighter future,” Glatzer said in the release.