Loyola Chicago hands women’s soccer its second loss in A-10 slate

In Loyola Chicago’s first year in the A-10 they have gone 2–1 so far, while the Colonials have netted two losses and two ties in conference play.

Women’s soccer fell to Loyola Chicago 3-0 in the first-ever matchup between the two programs following the Ramblers’ integration into the Atlantic 10 last fall.

The Colonials (3-2-5) were unable to get any real offensive momentum against the Ramblers (6-3-2) near the box throughout the game, only firing three shots on goal and one corner kick on the day. Both teams fought at midfield for the majority of the game, where Loyola countered and managed to get out in front of the GW defense on two of their three scores.

Frequent change of possession defined the first minutes of the game as both sides began to get a feel for their offensive attacks. The Ramblers got their first corner kick of the game in the sixth minute, launching a floater into the box that was successfully deflected by the Colonials.

Just a minute later, Loyola Chicago was able to reset their offense and attack again.

Ramblers junior forward Sarah Noonan received the ball on the right side to draw GW freshman goalkeeper Grace Crowe out of the net before sidestepping and tapping a simple pass to fellow forward Megan Nemac who easily found the back of the net.

Sophomore forward Kelly Poole launched GW’s first shot of the match in the 18th minute with a long one from straight on, collected by Ramblers goalie Naya Lipkens. The Colonials attacked again, but graduate student forward Rachel Sorkken was flagged for an offsides penalty.

With 11 minutes to go in the first half, GW gained a free kick in Ramblers’ territory that senior Isabelle Eskay took for the Colonials’ fourth shot of the game.

After Loyola managed to clear the ball, freshman midfielder Aoi Kataoka slipped the Ramblers’ defense for a one-on-one matchup that would give the Colonials arguably their best chance to score of the game with an open box, but the Loyola goalkeeper tipped the ball out.

With seven minutes to go, Loyola Chicago gained its fifth corner kick of the game, setting up another opportunity to get one in the box. Sophomore midfielder Jaimee Cibulka found the net coming off a pass from freshman defense Emily Roberts to extend the Ramblers lead to 2–0.

Neither team would have another major scoring chance before the end of the half. GW trailed Loyola Chicago in shots 6–5 while the Ramblers outpaced the Colonials in corner kicks 5–1.

The second half opened with Loyola Chicago on the kickoff, and the midfield possession battles continued. Just three minutes in, the Ramblers kicked another shot on goal, striking the crossbar before GW managed to clear the ball back to Loyola Chicago territory.

Crowe, who has played every minute of conference play this year, had her hands full during the match as the Colonials allowed a season high 18 shots, and the aggressive Rambler offense continued through the beginning of the second half.

After repelling a series of Loyola offensives, Eskay gained a free kick in Ramblers territory with 22 minutes to go, which she floated toward the goal before Lipkens collected the attempt. Sorkken was able to get in even better position after a foul and set up what would be GW’s last best chance to score, firing a cross to senior midfielder Tori Minda that just escaped the right post by about a foot.

In the 74th minute, Crowe made two quick saves in succession out of her total of four on the day. Four minutes later, the Ramblers put the match on ice after Amanda Cassidy tapped in a cross that gave Loyola Chicago a 3–0 lead.

The Ramblers shifted into a conservative defensive posture, content to milk out the rest of the clock. In Loyola Chicago’s first year in the A-10 they have gone 2–1 so far, while the Colonials have netted two losses and two ties in conference play.

GW will play their next match on Sept. 29 at conference rival Dayton starting at 7 p.m.