Student Association Senate approves plans for career fair this spring

Raphael Kellner | Staff Photographer
Senate Chairperson Pro Tempore Demetrius Apostolis, who sponsored the bill, said GW Career Services plans to bring in 70 to 80 employers for a full-day career fair at The Smith Center in February.

The Student Association Senate unanimously passed a bill appropriating $4,000 to a career fair that will take place in February 2023.

The GW Career Exploration EXPO Act establishes a planning committee that will organize a University-wide career day next spring after officials held the last University-wide career fair pre-pandemic in January 2019, according to the University Calendar. Senate Chairperson Pro Tempore Demetrius Apostolis, the sponsor of the bill and the executive director of the planning committee, said officials plan to bring in 70 to 80 employers for the full-day event at The Smith Center.

“We’re actually looking to make this one of the hallmark events of the year, and so I’m really excited to actually get started,” Apostolis said. “I’ll be building a team very shortly.”

Apostolis said he has been in contact with the Vice Provost of Career Services Kelley Bishop to coordinate the career fair. He said he hopes the event will promote community among students and give employers a change to engage with students.

“This is a chance for GW to really connect students with employers and really help GW students take the next step in their process of getting into their career,” he said.

Apostolis said the event will feature a table where students can interact with GW Career Services and receive advice on their resumes.

Senators unanimously passed the Sustainability Chairperson Reform Act, which amends the SA bylaws by dropping the requirement that the chair of the sustainability committee had to be a member of the physical facilities and urban affairs committee.

Sen. Kai Simson, CPS-G and the sponsor of the bill, said if the chair of the sustainability committee were to step down, but the vice chair of the committee was not a member of the physical facilities and urban affairs committee, the vice chair would be unable to replace the chair, so the bill serves to make the chair position more accessible.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention also presented to the senate on the resources they offer and encouraged senators to direct students in need of assistance to the organization.

GW Votes, a nonpartisan student organization, also called on the SA to support them in their mission to mobilize the student body to register and vote in the upcoming midterm elections in a presentation to the senate.

Vice President Yan Xu said he is talking with GW Listens, a peer counseling program on campus, in an effort to train future peer support staff members.

The next senate meeting will be held on Oct. 3 at 8:30 p.m. in the Elliott School State Room.