Officials announce new School of Nursing dean

Photo Courtesy of Mei R. Fu
Mei R. Fu previously served as the senior associate dean for research at Rutgers School of Nursing-Camden.

Officials announced a new dean of the School of Nursing in a news release Monday.

Mei R. Fu, the senior associate dean for research at Rutgers School of Nursing-Camden, will take the helm of the nursing school, filling a position that has been left without a permanent leader after former Dean Pamela Jefferies stepped down from the role in March 2021. Officials said in a news release that a search committee of trustees, faculty, staff, an alumna and students selected Fu for the top nursing school spot.

Provost Chris Bracey said Fu’s background in clinical partnerships and history of research makes her positioned to expand research opportunities and create a plan for growth as dean of the nursing school.

“She is energetic and passionate about joining with partners in order to support cutting-edge nursing research and prepare the next generation of nurses to become experts and leaders, and she will build upon the school’s already considerable strengths,” Bracey said in a release.

Slaven-Lee, the nursing school’s senior associate dean for academic affairs and interim dean, served in the interim position starting in July 2021 and will continue until January, when Fu is slated to take the helm.

“Dr. Slaven-Lee has been a valuable member of the provost senior leadership team and a strong and steady leader of the School of Nursing, working hard on behalf of all students, faculty and staff and helping the school continue to advance its mission,” Bracey said.

The U.S. News and World Report ranked the School of Nursing as the No. 22 best graduate nursing program in the United States for administration and leadership last year.

The release states that before joining GW, Fu served as the senior associate dean for research at Rutgers School of Nursing-Camden. She also held the inaugural Barry Family and Goldman Sachs Endowed Chair of Professorship in Nursing at Boston College Connell School of Nursing as well as faculty positions at New York University, according to the release.

“I am looking forward to working with the brilliant students, faculty, staff and alumni of the school who are committed to excellence in patient care, health equity and high-quality teaching and research,” Fu said. “Together, we will continue a path of success to advance GW Nursing and further expand the positive impact we have in the communities we serve locally, nationally and internationally.”

Fu studied in China and obtained bachelor’s and master’s degrees and earned a bachelor of science in nursing, a master of science and a doctorate in nursing science at the University of Missouri-Columbia, the release states.

In 2017 Fu was inducted into the International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame, Sigma Theta Tau International, and has received awards from the Oncology Nursing Foundation throughout her career as a researcher and nurse scientist, according to the release.