GW climbs one spot in U.S. News and World Report rankings

Hatchet File Photo by Colin Bohula | Staff Photographer
GW’s Foggy Bottom campus from the University Yard.

GW rose to No. 62 in this year’s U.S. News and World Report rankings of the best colleges and universities in the country, which were released Monday.

Up one spot from its No. 63 ranking last year, GW is now tied with Syracuse University, the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, the University of Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech. The 2022-23 rankings mark the third-straight year in which GW has climbed since dropping seven spots to No. 63 in 2018-19 academic year.

“The University’s steadfast commitment to transforming the world through excellence in education, research and patient care remains our top priority,”  Provost Chris Bracey said in a release. “Our advancement in this year’s rankings is a testament to the dedicated, innovative work of our entire university community in fulfilling our academic mission.”

U.S. News ranks universities based on factors like graduation and retention rates, available financial resources for students and average alumni donation rate.

U.S. News banned GW from national university rankings in 2012 after officials admitted to inflating the percentage of students that were top high school students. But it started to include the University again in 2013 after giving less consideration to the percent of students who graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school class in rankings.

Columbia University fell 16 spots in this year’s rankings to No. 18 after admitting to submitting inaccurate data that bolstered its standing in U.S. News’ rankings.

Of GW’s 12 peer schools, 10 of them rank higher than GW. The University tied with two of its peer schools, Syracuse University and the University of Pittsburgh, at the No. 62 spot.

Georgetown University, one of GW’s peer schools, rose to No. 22, while New York University and the University of Southern California tied for No. 25 on this year’s rankings. Tulane, Boston and Tufts universities also tied for No. 44, while Rochester University was ranked No. 36.