GW Compost to expand collections to six days a week

City officials plan to launch a curbside composting program and construct the city’s first processing facility in the coming years.

Sustainable GW will expand its compost collections to operate six days a week this fall after running on a weekly schedule since 2018. 

The University will hold compost collections on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m during the fall. The sustainability office will collect compostable materials and products like produce scraps, egg shells and pizza boxes at the 21st Street entrance of Kogan Plaza. 

The sustainability office suggests students review the D.C. Compost Guide for more information on what compost is, which materials can be composted and why composting is important for the environment.

The waste drop-off program was first launched in the spring of 2018 as a two-hour weekly collection to educate students about why composting is important while delivering the food waste to Prince George’s County Organics Compost Facility. 

Sustainable GW runs the compost collection program as a part of their Zero Waste Approach to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and promote recycling, reusing and composting materials.