Man who jumped in front of Metro train at Foggy Bottom station charged with murder

File Photo by Raphael Kellner | Photographer
The University’s enrollment in U-Pass will let students explore the D.C. area for the $100-per-semester rate.

The man who jumped in front of a Metro train at the Foggy Bottom station Sunday morning has been charged with the first-degree murder of his wife, according to a police statement Monday.

Ernest Hayden was arrested at the GW Hospital for the murder of his wife Pauline Hayden, who was found dead in her Lewisdale, Maryland home by her daughter Sunday morning, according to a Fox 5 report. Charging documents show Ernest Hayden intentionally jumped in front of a train at the Foggy Bottom stop in an apparent attempt to take his own life, and the train struck him and left him with minor leg injuries, the report states.

“The preliminary investigation reveals the suspect murdered his wife and then fled the home,” a release issued by the Prince George’s County Police Department Monday states.

Silver and Blue line trains single-tracked through the station following the collision while several D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department vehicles responded to the Foggy Bottom station.

Hayden is being held at the Psychiatric Institute of Washington and will be extradited to Prince George’s County.

The Metropolitan Police Department referred a request for comment to the Metro Transit Police Department, who did not immediately return a request for comment.