Student Association Senate fills two vacancies

Rachel Schwartz | Assistant Photo Editor
SA Senators unanimously approved Carille Walcott and Hamzah Niazi for the GWSB-G seats, ending their application period.

The Student Association Senate filled two vacancies in its final scheduled meeting of the summer Monday.

SA Senators unanimously approved Carille Walcott and Hamzah Niazi for the GWSB-G seats, ending their application period. Executive Vice President Yan Xu said he expects to fill “almost every remaining” vacancy in the next round of applications, due Aug. 12, which have been vacant since last spring’s election when no one ran for the positions.

Walcott, a part-time second-year student in the graduate school of business who works in construction, said she hopes to be “intentional” in her participation in the GW community by strengthening part-time students’ relationships with the campus community.

“I have found that interacting in person with my colleagues provides the best working environment for me since collaboration on building is more effective for me this way,” she said.

Niazi, a second-year graduate student in the school of business, was not present for the meeting, but he submitted a written statement saying he is “excited and passionate” about joining the senate.

SA President Christian Zidouemba said District House’s basement dining space would open on time for the fall semester. He said the Thurston Hall dining facility would open “within a short time” after the beginning of the fall semester.

The next Senate meeting will be on Aug. 29 at 8:30 p.m. in the Elliott School State Room.