Metro to increase service on Blue, Orange and Silver lines next month

Some members of the Metro Board of Directors expressed support for implementing a $2 flat fee for riding the Metrorail.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority announced Thursday that service on the Blue, Orange and Silver lines during weekdays would increase next month. 

WMATA announced that because of the increase in trains, riders can expect a train every 15 minutes on weekdays and the wait will not exceed five to eight minutes, the transit agency said in a release. Metro said they are also rolling out more 6000-series railcars, bolstering the number of cars available for service. 

“Improving service for customers is how we will restore the confidence of the National Capital Region,” Randy Clarke, Metro general manager and chief executive officer, said in the release.

WMATA pulled all of its 7000-series railcars — 60 percent of total trains — from operation for safety inspections last October after a train derailed near the Blue Line’s Arlington Cemetery stop, resulting in delays at all stops. Metro said in the release that they are working to return the 7000-series rail cars as part of a “phased approach.”