Cyclist killed in collision with dump truck outside of Lafayette Hall

File Photo by Sophia Goedert

A cyclist died Wednesday morning after a Mack truck struck herĀ at the intersection of 21st and I streets.

Metropolitan Police Department officials said in a release that the truck driver struck 40-year-old Shawn O’Donnell when the driver tried turning onto I Street from 21st Street while she was cycling alongside the truck. Officials said O’Donnell, who appears to have a LinkedIn account that showed she was a State Department official, was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead after all life-saving efforts failed.

The release did not name the truck’s driver or say whether the driver may face charges or receive a ticket for the incident. Photos posted on Twitter showed the mangled bike underneath the truck as police investigated the collision.

Street lights had been installed in recent weeks but had not been operational. Chalk drawings on the street Wednesday night marked the spots where the truck’s wheels had come to a stop following the collision.

Vito Maggiolo, the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services’ public information officer, said first responders received a call at 8:11 a.m. about a person struck by a vehicle before arriving on scene and transporting O’Donnell from the scene.