SA Senators pass bill to reform diversity and inclusion group

Rachel Schwartz | Assistant Photo Editor
The DIA Participation Reform Act modifies the assembly’s charter to decrease the requirements needed to join the diversity and inclusion assembly.

The Student Association Senate unanimously passed a bill that will expand access to the diversity and inclusion assembly at their meeting Monday.

The diversity and inclusion assembly is comprised of SA Senators and leaders of student organizations working with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to advocate for multicultural representation on campus. The DIA Participation Reform Act, sponsored by Sen. Henry Deng, CCAS-U and chair of the diversity and inclusion assembly, modifies the assembly’s charter to decrease the requirements needed to join the assembly.

Deng said the bill would allow senators to self nominate, so they no longer need to seek an external nomination. He said now that the bill is passed, nominees only need confirmation from the presiding officer and the chair of the assembly.

Deng said he amended the bylaws to allow more than one student leader per organization to make the assembly “more inclusive.”

“I personally think it is time for us to take steps and hire people to include more people on this mission so that we can have much more power and represent much more people,” he said.

In his presidential report, SA President Christian Zidouemba said he conducted a “total review” of cabinet procedure after the senate’s last investigative hearing on his cabinet, which followed at least seven resignations after an attempt to remove him from the top seat faltered. He said he will begin replacing cabinet members who resigned last week “as soon as possible.”

“I appreciate the feedback and the need for us to be united as one institution to serve the students that have put their trust into us,” he said.

The next senate meeting will be held July 25 at 8:30 p.m. over Zoom.