Weekend Outlook – Learn to swing dance at the Wharf

The+Mardi+Gras+celebration+this+weekend+will+feature+a+live+performance+from+Naptown+Brass+Band+on+District+Pier.+
Auden Yurman | Assistant Photo Editor
The Mardi Gras celebration this weekend will feature a live performance from Naptown Brass Band on District Pier.

Make the most of these warm days and unmatched summer nights in the DMV at these outdoor events around the region.

Learn how to swing dance before sipping on some cocktails at the Wharf Friday, get a glimpse of an up-and-coming folk group as part of a concert series Saturday and get your craft on at an arts and crafts fair Sunday.

Friday

Friday Night Dancing
Try something new this summer, and sign up for a lesson from professional swing dancers to the sound of rock and roll at the Wharf before cooling off with your choice of cocktail. GottaSwing, a swing dancing company, is hosting the event, which features a band called The Nighthawks to set the rhythm of the night. This lesson will be one of three dance-themed nights taking place at Transit Pier this summer. The night will begin with a free lesson for all, followed by a live music dance party where participants can put their skills to the test. Later, the group will head over to Cantina Bambina to indulge in a hard-earned cocktail. Grab some friends and head over to the Wharf to participate in the second Friday night dancing event of the summer.

Transit Pier at the Wharf, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Saturday

Summer Concert Series
Spend a summer night at an outdoor concert by an award-winning ensemble of folk fusion at the Julia P. Bindeman Suburban Center. Led by flutist Yana Nikol, this world-folk fusion group named Project Locrea secured this year’s Best World Music Artist/Group award at the WAMMIEs, a 35-year-old awards show recognizing DMV musicians. The show is packed with a mix of contemporary, classical and jazz music all with a folk influence. Bask in the warm weather of summer nights and watch the sun go down as you listen to the second show in the summer concert series of mixed genres hosted by the Washington Hebrew Congregation. Get to the event early to snag a spot near the front of the outdoor venue, and feel free to bring your own snacks and drinks and make a picnic out of it.

11810 Falls Rd, Potomac, Maryland, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Sunday

Silver Spring Arts and Crafts Summer Fair
Celebrate art at an arts and crafts fair where you can browse local vendors, make your own crafts and enjoy music and performances on a center stage. More than 80 artisans and crafters will come together to put on this annual celebration of the arts. Stroll through the rows of vendors in the outside plaza. Browse homemade pottery and jewelry, paintings and clothing. Stop and watch the musical performances from the local and international groups on the stage. You can even try your hand at making your own crafts at your own booth to focus on your flare. The event brings together the DMV community in a celebration of summer and local art, so head over to Silver Springs to join in on the fun.

Silver Spring Veterans Plaza, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Free. Find more information here.