Dish of the Week: Jumbo slices, ranked

Visitors+to+the+restaurant+can+enjoy+their+doughy+footlong+slices+under+the+glow+of+a+blue+Pepsi+clock.+
Jordan Yee | Staff Photographer
Visitors to the restaurant can enjoy their doughy footlong slices under the glow of a blue Pepsi clock.

D.C. may not be known for its pizza as much as your classic “pizza cities” of the Northeast, like New York and New Haven, but the District has what others don’t. The jumbo slice.

The jumbo slice is, appropriately, a comically large slice of pizza, often measuring more than a foot in length. The slices are especially popular and prominent in Adams Morgan, though jumbo slice shops are spread throughout the District, each with variations of slice style and size, and all open late into the night to capitalize on the city’s bustling nightlife.

We visited five jumbo slice pizza shops across Adams Morgan and the rest of the District in an attempt to find the best jumbo slice D.C. has to offer.

5. DuPont’s Pizza, DuPont Circle

Proudly proclaiming to produce New York style and jumbo slice pizza, DuPont’s Pizza presents a unique slice that combines appealing aspects of signature pizzas from the Big Apple and the District.

The slice at DuPont’s Pizza ($5 for cheese, $6 for pepperoni) is one of its kind in the jumbo slice world – the slice’s size comes from its width instead of length, essentially smashing two or three thin-crusted New York-style slices together. The pizza has the distinctive New York taste, with minimal sauce, a thin crust and heavy cheese, all to serve up a jumbo slice fit for a full meal.

While nearly tripling a typical New York-style slice may be too much pizza for some, DuPont’s Pizza can satisfy the cravings of northeasterners in a jumbo style.

2004 P St NW, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday, 11 a.m. to 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

4. Pizza Mart, Adams Morgan
The first place to ever use the term “jumbo slice pizza,” Pizza Mart is located in the heart of Adams Morgan, easily noticeable by its crumbling yet emboldened bright green and red paint.

Beyond the history, Pizza Mart still provides a memorably classic jumbo slice. The pizza was covered with ample pepperoni and cheese, and while lacking in sauce, the other aspects still ensure a distinct flavor. The crust is drenched in grease from top to bottom, revealing that greasiness has been a characteristic of the jumbo slice from the start.

While Pizza Mart’s slice may not be the best Adams Morgan has to offer, its conspicuous exterior and history in the jumbo slice scene make it a worthy spot for a late-night visit.

2445 18th St NW, 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. to 3 a.m. Sunday

3. Pizza Movers and Calzones, Georgetown
Located on Wisconsin Avenue and proudly proclaiming itself as the “First Jumbo Slice Ever in Georgetown,” Pizza Movers serves pizza oozing with flavor in a neighborhood lacking other jumbo slice options.

Pizza Movers’ slice is pre-prepared and hastily reheated upon ordering, with any toppings tossed on at the last minute, making them prone to slipping right off. The slice is covered with puddles of grease that will get all over your hands, pizza box, and in my case, notebook.

The slice is delicious. The blend of cheese between the baked cheese mixture and the recently melted mozzarella coats the pizza, while the greasiness creates a strong flavor that is undeniably delectable in the moment. The cheese slice costs $6.59, and the pepperoni costs $7.69.

Pizza Movers takes many of the traits that make jumbo slice pizza great and dials them up an extra notch, and while that can certainly be overwhelming to the taste buds – and overly greasy to the hands – this slice is the best option when out late at night afar from Adams Morgan.

1618 Wisconsin Ave NW, 11 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. Monday through Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursday and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday

2. Jumbo Slice Pizza, Adams Morgan
Jumbo Slice Pizza presents perhaps the closest image to what one imagines when they hear the words “jumbo slice pizza shop.”

Housed under a bright red awning, what sets Jumbo Slice Pizza apart from other Adams Morgan jumbo slice shops is the crust of its slices. Jumbo Slice Pizza offers thick, doughy crusts that add more flavor to the slice and fill up anyone eating it. The cheese and pepperoni have a slight bake to them, while still fresh enough for an enjoyable experience. Cheese slices cost $7, and pepperoni cost $8.

Jumbo Slice Pizza’s slice epitomizes the late-night indulgence and bold taste people crave from the classic jumbo slice.

2341 18th St NW, 7 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday; 7 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday

1. Bestolli Pizza/Pizza Boli’s, Adams Morgan
Located just a few steps away from Pizza Mart, Bestolli Pizza – also known as Pizza Boli’s – provides the best jumbo slice experience with a unique slice, late hours and cheap prices.

Bestolli’s jumbo slice takes the mantra that bigger – or in this case, jumbo – is always better. The charred, thin, New Haven-style crust is covered with copious amounts of sauce, cheese and pepperoni, so much so that as you eat your slice, toppings will almost be certain to flop off. The crust provides a taste closer to matzo than what one might expect from pizza crust. The cheese is greasy and bubbly, mimicking the New York style that many jumbo slice shops seek to emulate. Bestolli’s cheese slice costs $6, and the pepperoni slice costs $7.

Even though it is not as well known as other Adams Morgan jumbo slice joints, Bestolli Pizza’s unique combination of New Haven-style crust and New York-style toppings makes it an ideal spot for jumbo slice lovers.

2455 18th St NW, 10 a.m. to 2:45 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 3:45 a.m. Friday and Saturday