Learn about The Hatchet’s opinions section

In print and online, The Hatchet’s opinions section publishes a wide array of viewpoints and insightful analysis from members of the GW community each week. With this work continuing through the summer and a new semester on the horizon, I wanted to explain the opinions section to our readers – how it works, what we publish, where such content fits within The Hatchet and why we want your help.

How does the opinions section work?
The opinions section, which contributing opinions editor Riley Goodfellow and I run together, consists of dozens of students of various backgrounds, majors, affiliations and points of view. Each week, our writers and columnists – staff members who have written more than five pieces – publish work based on their experiences, interests and passions. The opinions section has covered everything from the cost of printing and lab fees to the University’s new dining plan and misogyny on campus.

Once we approve a piece for publication, Riley and I, along with editor in chief Jarrod Wardwell, carefully edit each piece to make it as impactful as possible. The editing process is collaborative – it’s our job to make each piece as strong as it can be, and that means several rounds of back-and-forth edits on grammar, style, clarity and so on. From start to finish, the process of pitching, approval, research, writing and editing takes slightly over a week.

What does the opinions section publish?
First and foremost, we publish pieces that are timely and relevant to the GW community – in other words, things that are happening both here and now. Opinions writers and columnists have outlined why they’re suing the University, called for the restoration of RAs and argued to move classes outdoors. Opinions pieces also frequently address ongoing efforts to foster change at GW, like divesting from fossil fuels or replacing the Colonials moniker. Our writers and columnists also contribute personal essays in which they reflect on navigating anti-Black racism in the United States and the difficulty that comes with making connections in college.

We also look to issues that may not be directly related to GW as an institution but which would still have a profound impact on our University and its community. We’ve covered topics like D.C. statehood, federal student loan forgiveness and abortion access, and they are no less important than our more GW-centric analysis. These broader, sometimes national debates matter to our readers, and they matter to us, too.

Riley and I also write a weekly staff editorial during the academic year – you can think of these as the official position of The Hatchet’s editorial board on any given issue. Staff editorials allow us to amplify the issues that are already catching the attention of the GW community or draw a focus to areas, like facilities issues, that we feel have failed to muster a sufficient response from the University. We base these staff editorials on discussions with our editorial board, a group of non-news editors that includes research assistant Zachary Bestwick, sports editor Nuria Diaz, copy editor Jaden DiMauro, culture editor Clara Duhon, design editor Grace Miller and contributing social media director Ethan Valliath.

How is the opinions section different from the rest of The Hatchet?
Both the editorial board and the opinions section as a whole are entirely editorially independent from the news section, and vice versa. Our news section tells you the who, what, when, why, where and how of a story, and they restrain their own personal biases and views to report the news as objectively as possible. But the opinions section is not bound by objectivity – what our writers believe and who they are is at the core of what they do. Their expertise, perspective and experience informs their arguments, and I believe it makes them better.

I don’t like what you published – now what?
It’s your right to disagree with the various views and arguments we publish. You may find something ill-conceived, inane or irrelevant. But rather than turn the page or close the tab, I would urge you to keep reading. Perhaps you’ll learn about something you’ve never considered before or find a better way to articulate your own beliefs.

The opinions section does not claim to offer capital T “Truths.” What we do offer are a multitude of perspectives on various issues written by people who care about their community. Whether you’re a student, faculty member, administrator or member of the broader GW community, the opinions section is worth reading.

How can I get involved?
If you have an opinion to share, we want to hear from you! Op-eds give members of the GW community more freedom to express their views and detail their own unique experiences without having to contribute regularly. Op-ed writers have discussed antisemitism on campus, criticized GW for its failure to support deaf and hard of hearing students, made the case that a brighter future is possible and demanded real change on Juneteenth.

If you want to comment on a specific article, you can also submit a letter to the editor. Such letters are more reactions to our work than original content, but they’re another way to let us know what we got right and especially if, or when, we’ve gotten something wrong.

Riley and I may run the opinions section, but it belongs to you. That’s why we want to ensure our writers and coverage reflect GW as much as possible. If you feel that The Hatchet fails to represent you, your background or your perspective, reach out to us. And if you’re especially passionate about the issues facing GW and D.C., then consider writing for The Hatchet’s opinions section.

Ethan Benn, a rising junior majoring in journalism and communication, is the opinions editor.