Weekend Outlook – Celebrate Pride month at Capital Pride Festival

The+bustling%C2%A0Capital+Pride+festival%C2%A0is+back+on+Pennsylvania+Avenue+with+concert+performances%2C+food+vendors%2C+beverage+gardens+and+more+than+300+exhibitors+ranging+from+artists+to+educational+institutions.+
Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
The bustling Capital Pride festival is back on Pennsylvania Avenue with concert performances, food vendors, beverage gardens and more than 300 exhibitors ranging from artists to educational institutions.

Celebrate and honor the history of Pride month with these entertaining, festive activities in the District this weekend.

Hear prominent LGBTQ community members discuss the future of Pride at a Smithsonian event, get outside at a Pride field day in Adams Morgan and head over to Pennsylvania Avenue for a lively festival featuring concerts and vendors to partake in D.C.’s Pride scene.

Friday

FUTURES CYPHER: Pride 2050
Ponder and reimagine the future of Pride during an after-hours event at The Smithsonian Art and Industries Building featuring LGBTQ artist and advocate-led conversations, performances and celebrations. The event will start off with panel of queer speakers discussing equality moving forward featuring Sasha Velour, the editor and co-owner of the Washington Blade, Kevin Naff, the founder of The Marsha P. Johnson Institute – which supports Black transgender people – spoken word artist Elle Moxley and filmmaker The Dainty Funk. The conversation will turn to musical performances from DJ Alex Love and D.C.-based band The CooLots. The artists will interpret the future of Pride through live painting, freestyle poetry, playback theater and vocal exhibitions. Attend the event to hear from a diverse range of voices from within the LGBTQ community, reflect on art and history of Pride and envision its future.

Arts and Industries Building, 900 Jefferson Dr. SW. 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Saturday

Pride Field Day
Revisit summer camp activities at this outdoor, Pride-themed field day. Head over to Marie Reed Soccer Field in Adams Morgan to partake in a variety of games like a human version of Hungry Hungry Hippos, a water balloon toss and tug of war. Dress up in your provided team jersey and apply decorative glitter from head to toe to help get into the Pride spirit. The event will feature “surprises” from local businesses including Lululemon, Call Your Mother, South Block and City State Brewing. After the games, participate in an essential D.C. experience with a celebratory drag brunch at Duplex Diner on U Street. Join the fun and games at this lively outdoor activity.

Marie Reed Soccer Field, 1777 California Ave. NW. 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. followed by brunch. $35. Tickets can be purchased here.

Sunday

Capital Pride
Celebrate Pride in full force at this colossal event with concert performances, food vendors, beverage gardens and more than 300 exhibitors ranging from artists to educational institutions. The bustling Capital Pride festival is back on Pennsylvania Avenue. Taste a slew of dining options at food trucks, local restaurants and traditional festival vendors and quench your thirst with your favorite spirit, wine or beer at the nearby Capitol or Dupont beverage gardens. Rock-dance band DNCE – featuring lead singer Joe Jonas – will headline the event in addition to performances by this year’s winner of Rupaul’s Drag Race, Willow Pill, and season 13 winner, Symone. Don’t miss out on the largest annual event in the national capital region.

Pennsylvania Avenue NW. 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. Free. More information can be found here.