White House will start to pay interns in the fall

Airlines+have+reported+a+jump+in+bookings+to+the+U.S.+after+federal+officials+loosened+travel+restrictions.+
Colin Bohula | Photographer
Airlines have reported a jump in bookings to the U.S. after federal officials loosened travel restrictions.

The White House announced in a statement on Thursday that it will pay its interns this fall to make its internship program more accessible for low-income and first-generation students and professionals.

The White House Internship Program, a program that assigns interns to assist the White House Office and the Office of the Vice President, will run for 14 weeks this fall and pay interns $750 per week. The application for the program opened on Monday and is eligible to U.S. citizens who are currently enrolled in or have graduated from an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program or have recently served in the United States Armed Forces and possess a high school diploma.

“This significant milestone of paying White House interns will help remove barriers to equal opportunity for low-income students and first-generation professionals at the beginnings of their careers,” the White House said in a statement last week.

The program’s session this fall will be the first White House internship program under President Joe Biden’s administration since the program was placed on hold in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The White House Internship Program is a public service leadership and development program that provides emerging leaders with an opportunity to gain valuable skills while supporting the work of the White House and furthering the priorities of the Biden-Harris Administration,” the release stated.