Interim administrator named permanent vice president and general counsel

Interim President Mark Wrighton appointed Charles Barber as permanent vice president and general counsel.

Barber has served as interim vice president and general counsel since June 2021. Wrighton said in an email to the University Friday that the search committee, composed of faculty, staff and trustees, conducted a “national search” for candidates and went with Barber as the final pick.

“Charles has been a crucial member of my leadership team since I joined the university, offering sound judgment and guidance through a wide range of legal matters, from business operations and strategic partnerships to our response to the pandemic,” Wrighton said in the email.

Barber has worked with the Office of General Counsel for 25 years, and he has taught education courses both at GW Law and at the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, according to the email.

“As we embark on our third century, I am certain that Charles is well equipped to continue to support our community and the fulfillment of our academic mission,” Wrighton said in the email.