Men’s basketball hires former St. Bonaventure assistant coach

Men’s basketball Head Coach Chris Caputo hired an assistant coach with six years of NCAA experience, according to a press release on Monday.

Dwayne Lee will join the Colonials staff after spending the last three seasons as an assistant coach at Quinnipiac, where he led the Bobcats with the eighth-highest national defensive field percentage rank and an appearance at the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference semifinals in the 2020-21 season. Lee has signed four-star recruits like Justin Wiston and Alejandro Vasquez while also holding four NCAA tournaments under his belt.

“We are excited for Dwayne and his family to join our program at GW,” Caputo said in the release. “Dwayne has such a strong basketball background starting with his time at St. Anthony’s Jersey City playing for a Hall of Fame coach in Bob Hurley Sr. Dwayne was an excellent player in the Atlantic 10 and professionally. He has played for and worked with great coaches, has coached in multiple NCAA tournaments and will be a tremendous role model for our student.”

Before joining the Quinnipiac coaching staff, Lee worked as an assistant coach at St. Bonaventure from 2017-19, where he helped the team secure a victory in the NCAA First Four, a tournament of the four lowest-seeded teams, over UCLA in the 2017-18 season and notch a program-record 26 wins. Lee recruited All-Rookie guard Kyle Lofton who helped the Bonnies advance to the conference championship.

In 2013, Lee started as an assistant coach at Farleigh Dickinson, where he helped the Knights reach the 2016 NCAA tournament with the third-youngest roster in the country.

Lee began his coaching career at Wagner University, where he served as a graduate manager in the 2012-13 season. He won two straight New Jersey Championships as the No. 2 national ranked player by USA Today at St. Anthony’s high, where he played for Hall of Fame coach Bob Hurley.

He played for the Saint Joseph’s Hawks in college, where he helped the team qualify for two NCAA Tournaments and two National Invitational Tournament berths – one leading to an appearance in the National Invitation Tournament Championship. Lee finished in 11th place in school history with 371 assists and was part of the second-winningest class with 96 wins.

“I am very honored and excited to be joining such a prestigious university,” Lee said. “George Washington is a great school, and it is located in an unbelievable area. It really doesn’t get any better than that. Coach Caputo is the right guy for the job, and I’m looking forward to working together to build a program that will attract the best student-athletes throughout the region and beyond.”