Protesters gather outside Supreme Court after opinion striking down Roe v. Wade is leaked

Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor
At least 500 people congregated outside the Supreme Court Monday night after a leaked draft majority opinion revealed the court voted to strike down Roe v. Wade, a move that would wipe away federal abortion protections.

Hundreds of protesters gathered at the Supreme Court Monday night after a leaked draft majority opinion showed the Supreme Court voted to strike down the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and eliminate federal constitutional protections for abortion.

The crowd outside the courthouse grew to at least 500 people Monday night after POLITICO published the leaked document that was drafted in February, drawing pro-choice activists calling for abortion protections and anti-abortion counterprotesters defending the leaked decision. The court’s decision is not final until it is made public, which will likely happen in the next two months, according to POLITICO.

Here is a glimpse of the protesters, who congregated near the barricades of the Supreme Court throughout the night:

A pro-choice protester raises a sign, chanting during the demonstrations against the Supreme Court’s leaked preliminary decision to strike down Roe v. Wade.
Protesters carried signs bearing messages like “This will kill women” to call attention to the need for protected abortion rights as a vital health resource for women in the country.
Demonstrators criticized the Supreme Court for the leaked decision that would eliminate federal abortion protections that have been in place for nearly four decades.
A group of protesters formed a wall in front of the Supreme Court facing the rest of the crowd with a banner reading “The people are supreme.”
A group of counterprotesters leads “Roe v. Wade has got to go” chants directed at pro-choice demonstrators.
The news of the leaked draft majority opinion drew hundreds of pro-choice protesters to the Supreme Court before midnight.
A pro-choice activist holds a candle in the air in the middle of the sea of demonstrators and counterprotesters outside the Supreme Court.