Journalists Dana Bash, Chuck Todd to receive honorary degrees at Commencement

Hatchet File Photo and File Photo by Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
GW also recognized Bash and Todd as two of 72 “Monumental Alumni” during GW’s bicentennial celebrations in the fall.

Officials will announce Wednesday that journalists and alumni Dana Bash and Chuck Todd will receive honorary Doctor of Public Service degrees at this year’s Commencement ceremony.

Dana Bash, a CNN anchor and political correspondent, graduated from GW in 1993, and Chuck Todd, a moderator of Meet the Press on NBC, attended GW from 1990 to 1994. Officials said in a University release obtained by The Hatchet that the two alumni are an “inspiration” to GW graduates and “titans” of broadcast news.

The University also recognized both Bash and Todd as two of 72 “Monumental Alumni,” honoring them during GW’s bicentennial celebrations in the fall.

“We are extremely fortunate to be able to recognize with honorary degrees two distinguished members of our alumni community, who have been trusted public voices and made an incredible impact on journalism during pivotal moments in our nation’s recent history,” interim University President Mark Wrighton said in the release.

Bash started at CNN as a White House correspondent for former President George W. Bush’s administration and has since become CNN’s chief political correspondent. Todd regularly moderates presidential debates for NBC News and MSNBC and worked as the chief White House correspondent for NBC during former President Barack Obama’s administration.

Elana Meyers Taylor, a five-time Olympic medalist, alumna of GW and the most decorated Black athlete in Winter Olympics history, will also deliver the keynote address at the Commencement Ceremony this year, officials announced in late March.