ICE extends period for international students to take hybrid, online courses

File Photo by Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
A University-wide task force found that the loss of international students this year was a “substantial challenge” to diversity, equity and inclusion on campus.

Federal officials extended a pandemic-era policy that allows international students to take online and hybrid courses at American colleges and universities through the 2022-23 academic year on Monday.

Before U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement implemented the rule in March 2020, international students could only enroll in one online course and count the class toward full-time student credit. But this will be the third academic year ICE has allowed international students to take more than one online or hybrid course after continuing the policy in April 2022.

International students who enrolled at a United States college or university before March 9, 2020 can take online-only courses and remain in compliance with their visa requirements.

“This guidance enables schools and students to engage in distance learning in excess of regulatory limits due to the continuing public health concerns created by COVID-19,”  federal officials said in a release.

ICE officials also said international students will be able to stay in the U.S. if classes move online due to rising COVID-19 cases, as long as the courses began with in-person instruction.