Whole Foods to leave GWorld after 2022-2023 academic year

HATCHET FILE PHOTO
Students subscribed to Amazon Prime’s student option and Amazon Prime members will receive additional benefits and in-store savings across Whole Foods stores.

Updated: April 21, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.

Dining officials announced the I Street Whole Foods will no longer accept GWorld as a form of payment beginning in June 2023.

Officials said in an email to on-campus residents Tuesday that Whole Foods made a “corporate decision” to phase out its participation in university dining plans across the country. Dining officials said they announced Whole Foods’ decision to phase out a year early because the grocery store’s close proximity to campus makes it an “integral” component of students’ meal planning.

“We want to stress that this is not an individual store decision, and is not related to our new residential focused dining program,” the email states.

Officials said the Safeway on Wisconsin Avenue – the other grocery store near campus that accepts GWorld – will continue to accept GWorld payments for the foreseeable future. Officials have no updates on other new or outgoing GWorld partners, according to the email.

Another nearby grocery store, Trader Joe’s, has not accepted GWorld as payment since 2007.

University Dining announced last August that they would be unveiling a new dining plan for the 2022-2023 academic year, which includes the construction of three all-you-can-eat dining halls in District House and Thurston and Shenkman halls. Officials announced the District House dining hall will “later” during the next school year despite initial plans to open the hall at the start of the fall semester. 

This post has been updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the District House dining hall would open during the fall semester. Officials said the dining hall will open “later” during the next school year. We regret this error.