Former Ward 2 Council member will not face federal charges for ethics violations

A Metro board ethics investigation found that chairman Jack Evans violated ethics codes relating to conflicts of interest.

Former Ward 2 Council member Jack Evans will not face prosecution after a federal investigation into ethics violations he committed during his time on the D.C. Council ended, his attorney announced Wednesday.

Evans – who represented Ward 2, which encompasses Foggy Bottom, beginning in 1992 – resigned in 2020 after repeated calls from Council members amid ethics investigations into his private business dealings while in office. The District’s Board of Ethics and Government Accountability fined Evans $55,000 last July, requiring him to pay the fine in monthly $2,000 increments over the next two years.

“The U.S. Attorney’s Office confirmed yesterday that its investigation of former Councilperson Jack Evans has been concluded and no action will be taken against him,” Evans’ attorney Abbe Lowell said in a statement.

Evans faced calls for expulsion from other Council members in 2019 after it was revealed he touted his influence as a government official to gain customers for his consulting firm, which resulted in a $20,000 fine. Evans also crafted legislation to benefit sign company Digi Media just a month after his consulting business was given shares of that company, which led to a $35,000 fine.

Evans resigned just days before a vote to expel him from the Council was scheduled, and Brooke Pinto won the special election last June to replace Evans as Ward 2’s Council member.