Weekend Outlook – Catch a jazz, comedy show at Columbia Station

Colin Bohula | Staff Photographer
Shake off the stress of a long week with drinks and groovy jazz classics at Columbia Station.

With final exams quickly approaching, get your mind off schoolwork this weekend with events that explore the arts, sciences and nature in D.C.

Warm up with some laughter and jazz at a music and comedy show at Columbia Station Friday, learn about some of the nation’s biggest health issues at an online summit Saturday and explore the expansive Dumbarton Oaks Gardens to celebrate the spring on Sunday.

Friday

DC’s Weekend Blues Comedy Showtime
Shake off the stress of a long week with some smooth jazz and uplifting comedy at Columbia Station. Located in Adams Morgan for more than 20 years, the venue’s traditional combo continues Friday with a program of groovy jazz classics featuring up and coming ensembles followed by a comedy show with local performers. The music kicks off at 8:30 p.m. before the jokes start at 9 p.m. Drinks and food will be available to complete the night of music, laughter and fun. Columbia Station is worth a visit for any student looking for a getaway from their workload woes and the Foggy Bottom bubble.

Columbia Station, 2325 18th Street NW. 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Tickets start at $15. This is a 21+ event. Find out more here.

Saturday

HealthBox Summit
The Children’s Health Awareness Program in Schools has partnered with GW’s American Medical Physiology Club to host a health conference students can join to learn about innovative solutions for major health issues in the United States, like cancer and childhood obesity. A seven-person panel will talk during the first part of the conference with CHAPS founder Shreya Papneja alongside representatives from the research, government, medical, education and technology sectors. The second half of the panel will feature a competition for students to devise the best solutions for large-scale health issues. Prizes for winners include an internship with Virginia State Sen. Barbara Favola (D), one of the summit’s speakers.

Virtual event. 10 a.m. to noon. Free. The event page and registration link can be found here.

Sunday

Dumbarton Oaks Gardens
Wander through Georgetown’s Dumbarton Oaks Gardens for a scenic stroll through nature to soak in the springtime warmth. The gardens are entrenched in D.C. history, opening in 1940 before part of the land was sold to build the Danish Embassy.  When you arrive, a brick pathway will take you past fountains, reflecting pools and a variety of flowers, including cherry blossoms. Sit down on one of the many benches tucked into the greenery and gaze at the expansive mansion that the property circles. Stroll through daffodils and hyacinths along a small brick path known as Melisande’s Allee and take the Prunus Walk through a collection of plum trees. Lovers’ Lane Pool also serves as a peaceful enclosure surrounded by an amphitheater covered with overgrown shrubbery.

Dumbarton Oaks Gardens, 1703 32nd St. NW. The garden is open from 2 to 6 p.m. on Sunday. $7. Find more information here.