Baseball falls in non-conference bout to William and Mary

Sabrina Godin | Senior Staff Photographer
The Colonials head to Philadelphia this weekend for a three-game series against A-10 opponent Saint Joseph’s.

Baseball fell to William and Mary at home Tuesday afternoon, following a tight battle that turned into domination by the visiting team.

The Colonials (17-16) suffered an 11-5 loss against the Tribe (17-12), capping off a four-game homestand that GW split evenly. William and Mary struck early with a two-run double in the first inning from senior outfielder Jack Cone before the Colonials struck back in the bottom of the first with a solo homer by senior outfielder Cade Fergus, his eighth dinger of the season.

William and Mary junior Joe Delossantos launched the Tribe’s first homer of the game in the second inning, and the Tribe scored two more in the third inning, extending their lead to four. The Colonials failed to score again until the fourth inning, when junior utility player Steve DiTomaso singled, scoring freshman catcher Tim Nicholson.

The Colonials tied the game in the fifth inning after senior catcher and reigning A-10 Player of the Week Anthony Frechette singled to start a three-run rally for GW. Frechette found his way home after freshman infielder Ty Acker grounded out to the first baseman. A double from a Nicholson double and single from utility player Matthew McCowan knocked in the other two runs of the fifth inning.

After a scoreless sixth inning, William and Mary exploded in the seventh to score five runs, highlighted by a two-run homer from senior infielder Cole Ragone, which put the game out of the Colonials’ reach.

Southpaw pitcher sophomore Christopher Kahler was credited with the loss after giving up an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh to give the Tribe the lead.

DiTomaso reached base three times with a base hit and two walks, but it was a futile effort as GW was held scoreless for the rest of the game.

William and Mary plated another run in the top of the ninth inning to stretch the Tribe’s lead to 11–5 and notch the final score of the game. GW left a total of 11 men stranded on base, including a missed bases loaded opportunity in the second inning.

The Colonials head to Philadelphia this weekend for a three-game series against A-10 opponent Saint Joseph’s. The first game is set for 3 p.m. Friday at Smithson Field.