Best vintage store: Mercedes Bien Vintage

Erin Leone | Photographer
At Mercedes Bien Vintage, the District’s longest running vintage store, you can find everything from ’90s slip dresses to small classic handbags along with other current vintage trends.

Location: 2423 18th St NW

Readers’ Pick: Meeps Vintage

As second hand shopping becomes popular and the good stuff goes quicker, it can be hard to find pieces that fit your style when shopping at vintage stores. But Mercedes Bien Vintage in Adams Morgan is consistently stocked with well-curated, exciting clothes to add to your closet.

The District’s longest-running vintage store never fails to offer an incredible variety of pieces reigning all the way from the 1920s. Originally a vendor at the Georgetown flea market in the 1980s, Mercedes Bien Vintage has become a thriving boutique that proves to keep up with the increased demand for vintage clothing.

Mercedes Bien Vintage is now located on the second floor of a townhouse on the bustling 18th Street. The boutique sells clothes of better quality and condition than other vintage stores in the area, and for such a well-curated selection that’s always being added to, the prices are more reasonable than its competitors.

You can find everything from ’90s slip dresses to small classic handbags along with other current vintage trends like women’s clothing with shoulder pads and ski jackets. Up a set of stairs and dispersed across two narrow rooms, the cozy store is built above a currently unleashed space and packed with jaw-dropping treasures.

Some stand-out pieces at Mercedes Bien Vintage include a 1960s neon green Dorian jumpsuit and sparkly purple platform Jeffrey Campbell heels.

Mercedes Bien has also sold vintage coats by high-end designers like Ralph Lauren and Saks Fifth Avenue. You can also find regal looking fur coats and leather jackets from the 1970s to elevate any outfit. Reminiscent of styles worn by 1960s fashion icons like former first lady Jackie Kennedy, the store sells patterned skirt suits and hat sets, a look that could be your spring go-to.

The boutique is also known for its selection of accessories including sunglasses, shoes, belts, hats and handbags. Mercedes Bien Vintage sells sunglasses from every decade like French cateye sunnies from the 1920s and early 2000s Christian Dior. Handbags like 1950s lucite purses, 1960s French mod bags and 1920s kiss lock clutches have also been sold at the shop.

Mercedes Bien is open Saturdays from noon to 6 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m.. The store regularly updates its Instagram to show off pieces it’s carrying and to notify customers when store hours might change.